Willamette vs. Fuggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selliott97

Reaction score
I recently picked up a recipe for a nutty brown ale that calls for Target hops and Kent Goldings. Niether of the local homebrew shops have any of these so I was looking on the conversion chart they had for a possible substitution and found that fuggle and willamette is were two possible substitutions, not to mention they were the only two on the conv. chart that they had in stock. After doing a little research on-line I discovered that the Willamette is actually a highbrid of the fuggle so my question is...can I substitute the Fuggle and Willamette for the Target and K. Goldings and how well will the two work together being they are so similar? From what I have found they both work well in English Ales so I think they will work fine, I just wanted to get some more experienced advice.

They'll work. I'd bitter with Willamette. You could also use almost any high AA hop for bittering, if you have some around.

Willamette seems to get disregarded for some reason, but I really dig it. A great mix of savory and citrusy---as one might expect from an English hop grown in America.

I can't speak from experience, but I bet that the fuggles/willamette combo will do most of what you'd expect the target/goldings combo to do, except that target is usually higher in alpha acids.

They'll work. I'd bitter with Willamette. You could also use almost any high AA hop for bittering, if you have some around.

From what I have read, the Fuggles are more used for bittering than the Willamette hops. Will the Willamettes give me a less bitter beer or do you say this because the Fuggles work better for flavor and aroma than the Willamette hops will?

Cool, guess it's a coin toss then. Thanks for the tips. Will repost when it is finished and let you all know how it turns out.

I just made one with just Fuggles leaf. Bottled it tonight. I gave it a taste, of course, and it promises to be a fine brew in a couple of weeks.

I made one a while ago with Kent's Golding and Fuggles and it was one of my best homebrews.

I think it's hard to go wrong with what you've got on hand. Good luck.

I just made a brown ale that followed this recipe. It used Fuggles, and I remember I really dug the smell of that a lot more than my bittering hops. I don't think I used Challanger, but it must have been something similar.

Culver City Home Brewing Supply Co. Recipes
I'm preparing to use Challanger (for bittering) and Willamette (several additions) to Bee Cave's Haus Pale Ale...I made a batch of his HPA (with variations) and it's a great tasting brew...ready to keg/bottle as I type...:mug:

Back