Can i get an opinion on first IPA recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jnco_hippie

Reaction score
We made this using BeerSmith2. we want to use honey malt as the corner stone of our beer. We origionally just wanted Pale malt extract, 2 row, and honey malt to be the grain bill, then fill in hops as needed. however, we were worried that this would make a thin beer with low head retention. so we added the carapils and aromatic to help build body and mouthfeel.

Bunny hop IPA.jpg

We have no idea where we are going with the hops... just looked at what we had, and took an educated guess as to when to toss them in.

Any of you IPA brewers out there please chime in with corrections and suggestions.

we plan on brewing this tomorrow. my son has made the "simple rice wine" from sonofgrok's thread, but this will be my son's first shot at brewing beer.

This is to be our Easter special brew, so would like it to turn out pleasant.

thanks in advance.
Stephen, Matt & Shiloh

Ok.,

We are sanitizing bottles to empty our secondaries so we can move our primaries over, so we can fill our primaries with today`s brews.... Pipeline?

Only about 3 to 4 hours away from brewing. This bunny hop IPA.

anyone wanna chime in with some suggestions?

I don't have to use the muntons I suppose. I have some second gen yeast from earlier batches, but they were DARK brews using English, Irish and European strains.

I'd move the 30 minute addition to more of a late hop addition for flavor/aroma. The best IPAs I've been making have late hop additions (i.e. 5 minutes, 1 minute, flame out). I'd use quite a bit more hops than you're using, though.

Looks like a decent recipe. I would also use either more hops as late additions if possible. If not I would move the 30 minute to 5 or 10.

IMHO thats alot of specialty malts, I recently made a iipa with 1lb of caramunich 35l and 8 oz of honey malt and the malt pushed through too much, not bad but next recipe I will use about half of each.

This is what I have on hand for hops:
1 oz each---
German select 5.3 aa
Crystal 4.3 aa
Nugget 13.3 aa
Galena 13.4 aa
Columbus 15.2 aa
Warrior 16.0 aa

For grains I have:
Lots of 6 row
Lots of 2 row
3 lbs honey malt
2 lbs crystal 40
2lbs crystal 60
3 lbs brown
1 lb red wheat
2 lb black roast barley
2 lb black patent
1 lb crystal 10
2 lb acid malt
1 lb carapils
1 lb aromatic
3 lb pale ,malt
.5 lb bbiscuit
3lb chocolate
1 lb peated malt
.5 lb coffee

Muntons year packets 2
Red star champagne 3
Red star cuvee 3
Red star Montrachet
Red star pasture red
Red star cote des blancs

Got some pale DME
Some pale lme
Amber lme
Dark lme

That's most of my beer stuff. The rest is for wine.

I'm a newer brewer, but have made only IPA's (5 batches). For my mini mash recipes I use

3.5lb 2 row
.5lb Carapils
.5lb Crystal 40 or 60
5lbs Pale LME
Depending on efficiency you should end up about 1.050-1.060. You can adjust to preference.

Hops I would use
1oz Warrior @ 60
1oz Galena @ 15
1oz Columbus @ 10
1oz Crystal @ 5

I have no idea what Galena and Crystal have to offer for taste/aroma. But thats my input. Hopefully someone with more exp will give you an idea. Hope it turns out good either way you go! GL EDIT: Sorry I didn't see you're note about the honey malt...

Back