Has anyone tried the Odell Woodcut series?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been debating for the longest time whether I should buy anything from the Woodcut series by Odell. Well the wife and I recently got our credit card bill and it's $1500-$2000 cheaper than it usually is. Due to that and the fact that I was at the local Total Wine And More store and once again saw the Woodcut series I decided to buy it.

This description is for batch #4 (they need to update the website since the current series is batch #5).

"Our first lager offering in the Woodcut series, Woodcut No. 4 Oak Aged Lager provides an exceptional “base” for showcasing the importance of hand selected, hand coopered, medium toast, American virgin oak barrels. By choosing a double Marzen style lager, our brewers were able to design a beer that showcases the caramel malty characters of a Marzen along with the clean warming alcohol character only an 11% lager can provide. The nose of this beer is rich in complexity, providing pineapple, dried apricot, raisin and a pleasantly soft muskiness. Toasted oak overtones balance these aromas with a light cedar quality. As the warming alcohol coats the palate a soft vanilla lingers on the tongue imparted by the medium toast virgin oak."

I have batch #5 and on the label it's listed as a quad. Has anyone tried this series? Is it worth $25 for a 750mL bottle? I'm going to drink it regardless, but has anyone experienced this series by Odell?

That description is for #4. I've had them all except for #3 (I think). I like #5 a lot, but it is a special occasion, try it once sort if beer at those prices.

Edit: correction, I've had them all except #4, the lager in your description.

That's the description on the site, but I checked and I definitely have batch #5 which is labeled as a quad. I guess they just need to update their site.

Im surprised more people havent had these beers. I love Odells woodcut series. #4 is sort of an imperial marzen and I think its absolutely fantastic. #3 and #5 are good as well. I didn't have an issue paying 20 bucks for any of them.

tried #6 last night. i did have a problem dropping $25 but i won't in the future....amazing

I've had the 5 and actually have another bottle of it. It is a really good Quad but I do not think any of the bottles in that run ended up bottle conditioned. I plan to force carb my second bottle.

I have 3,4,5and 6 in the basement and one #5 in the frig. They are all good beers, I have never had a Bad Odell's. Try the Meddler it is a sour not in the woodcut series but really good

image.jpg

For those that haven't seen in store

Back