Breckenridge Double Hopped IPA (471 Small Batch)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Breckenridge Brewery said:
IT COMES DOWN TO THIS. WE LOVE MAKING BEER. And while our mainline beers keep us very busy, there are times we get antsy to brew something different. That's where the 471 Small Batch comes in. Special ales that originate in our brewmaster's head and then become reality. On occasion, an ale will get enough attention that we bottle a batch. So keep an eye out for them. Oh lordy, this is fun.
Well, it's not fun for me. I bought this for an upcoming "brew swap," and I still might send a bottle just to get a second opinion, but it should've stayed in the brewmaster's imagination.

Appearance
Golden and clear with a 2-finger head. Very nice presentation, bottle, pour, and all.

Aroma
Is this a DOUBLE IPA? Really? It has a clean aroma, very faint hops if any, and something...strange...that I can't quite put my finger on...something...kinda like leftover Mexican food.

Flavor
Unremarkable up front - BMC-ish. Bitter as it washes across the tongue. Icky metallic aftertaste. There is definitely hop bitterness present, but there is no real hop flavor at all. Conceals its 9.2% ABV well, but I don't really care that much since the flavor is...weird.

Mouthfeel
Nice. Well carbonated, medium to full bodied. I wish the velvety texture was accompanied by good flavor and aroma.

Drinkability
I'm about to dump it. The buzz I'll get from the high ABV isn't worth it. It really doesn't taste good. Bad, Breckenridge. Very bad, Breckenridge. 10 lashes with a wet noodle, and next time, brew a GOOD beer!

I honestly wasn't impressed by this brew either. For a double IPA it didn't have the hop backbone I expect. It had a ton of malt character and almost a cloying sweetness to my pallet. I have tried some much better double IPA's in my time from Founders, A local Brew Pub in Indy, and Three Floyde's to name a few.

I have had this brew several different times and I find it a pretty decent, but not great DIPA. I think I know where you are coming from with the metallic thing..I always found a slight off-note in the flavor that seems like a recipe that just doesn't totally jive, like it needs a subtle tweak to really come together.

Course, with excellent DIPAs out there like Pliny, Hopslam, Hercules, Hop 15, Ruination, ect..out there, there's some stiff competition.

I bought a six pack of this stuff had a bottle thought it was great. SWMBO had one and my uncle had one the consensus was great. Since then I've drank 2 more from the six pack and they aren't that good. They look kind of cloudy in the glass and they barley even taste like IPA unlike the first one I drank. 1/2 bad batch maybe?

Hmm...I will crack another tonight to see if it was a bad bottle. I'm guessing it's more like a bad batch. It wasn't skunked, so storage wasn't the issue (unless it got hot...which could've happened).

Yuri_Rage said:
Well, it's not fun for me. I bought this for an upcoming "brew swap," and I still might send a bottle just to get a second opinion, but it should've stayed in the brewmaster's imagination.

Appearance
Golden and clear with a 2-finger head. Very nice presentation, bottle, pour, and all.

Aroma
Is this a DOUBLE IPA? Really? It has a clean aroma, very faint hops if any, and something...strange...that I can't quite put my finger on...something...kinda like leftover Mexican food.

Flavor
Unremarkable up front - BMC-ish. Bitter as it washes across the tongue. Icky metallic aftertaste. There is definitely hop bitterness present, but there is no real hop flavor at all. Conceals its 9.2% ABV well, but I don't really care that much since the flavor is...weird.

Mouthfeel
Nice. Well carbonated, medium to full bodied. I wish the velvety texture was accompanied by good flavor and aroma.

Drinkability
I'm about to dump it. The buzz I'll get from the high ABV isn't worth it. It really doesn't taste good. Bad, Breckenridge. Very bad, Breckenridge. 10 lashes with a wet noodle, and next time, brew a GOOD beer!

You almost hit my impressions head on. I guess its just my personal taste. When I hear IPA, I think HOPPY, with a distinct bitterness. Even with the 9.2 ABV, it was definately not worth drinking. I poured it out. Didnt like this one at all.

Maybe the recipe has changed since 2007. My buddies and I liked it. Had some two nights ago. The alcohol and hops were both present. Not as "bitey" as alot of other DIPA's out there. The description is still the same as far as appearance. But the taste was really good. And I like good hoppy IPA's (Hop Devil, Dogfish Torpedo, Leviathan, Levitation, Lagunita's Hop Stoopid, Great Lakes Burning River, etc,..). Try it again.

They bottle this? I've only ever had it in the brewpub in Breck, and only in the last couple years. I like it, but they are currently out in Breck; maybe they have some in Denver.

Hey NachoJones! I grew up in Cleveland and now live in Breck. Kinda funny to see your post. I just got back from a trip in the old CLE. I made a point of going to the GLBC to get some Eddie Fitz on tap. Wow. What a beer!!!

Too bad you're not around. Me and the guys are going there tonight for some DoppleRock and Quitness. Happy Pales...

Haven t had it from a bottle, but i had it on tap and is now my favorite IIPA of all time, im guessing freshness is the issue for those who didn't like this beer but like IPAs in general.

Possibly that batch, or the recipe could have been changed over time. But got a couple cases of it for free this past weekend, and it is DELICIOUS.
About 100 or 150 other industry folks at a distributor's convention agreed.
:D

Back