yellow jacket in fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btmann

Reaction score
When I cracked open my fermenter, I found a yellow jacket floating on top. It tastes oddly bitter. Could this be from contamination from bee? It must have hit the wort during chilling. Any thoughts?

The bee tastes bitter because of the hops in the beer he drank!

Seriously, bacteria take some time to sour a beer, although I would not rule out wild yeast.

Call it Yellow Jacket (what ever style), and enjoy it until and if it gets undrinkable....

I am not kidding, I just read something about bee's or yellow Jackets having one of the best yeast's for making beer in them. I wish I could find where I read it? It was one of those mental notes; "if I am one of the last people on the earth, I gotta find some bee's to make beer". You should name this beer "Yellow Jacket"

I think the bigger question is, how did a bee get into an airtight fermenter?

People need to remember that bees, wasps and hornets are not the same thing.
I am a beekeeper and dislike how people mix them all the time. (Pet peeve)

onthekeg said:
People need to remember that bees, wasps and hornets are not the same thing.
I am a beekeeper and dislike how people mix them all the time. (Pet peeve)

I differentiate bees from the latter but have never truly understood the difference between wasps and hornets. Size, stripes, color. If they've got dangling legs and abdomen then they're a wasp to me.

I used to kill anything that flew near my beer. My girl is taking a college course about the extinction of some bee so I'm not allowed to go on a killing frenzy anymore :(

Back