Do I need a thief?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HypnoFrogs

Reaction score
Could I not just sterilize my 1/2 inch tubing and siphon off enough for a test every time? I just don't want to go buying everything when I'm not sure if I will stick with brewing. I would buy a wine thief after the 2nd or 3rd brew. But is siphoning acceptable?

Yeah, sure. Or you could use a turkey baster. Or just sterilize a drinking glass (if you use buckets to ferment).

You can use any turkey baster that has been sanitized but u might have to tip the carboy a bit... im assuming that u r doing gravity reading so u will not need too much of it... just make sure to squeeze the ball to get the air out before u put in a carboy as u dont want to introduce any additional air into ur brew.

There is one thing, well many things that I like about HBT.. But thread titles if taken out of context are hilarious. "Do I need a thief?" Where else but on HBT.

As Evrose said a turkey baster will work just fine. But your original idea is good as well. Ensure whatever you use is sanitized - that's the only important part.

There is one thing, well many things that I like about HBT.. But thread titles if taken out of context are hilarious. "Do I need a thief?" Where else but on HBT.

As Evrose said a turkey baster will work just fine. But your original idea is good as well. Ensure whatever you use is sanitized - that's the only important part.
Yeah taken out of context my title is quite hilarious! I did not even notice that till now. Thank you all for the very fast responses!

I use my auto siphon as a thief. It's longer than a turkey baster, which is good for me since I ferment in carboys. Just be ready with your hydrometer jar, because it will drip. If you don't yet have an auto siphon, I highly recommend one!

You can even just sterilize tubing, dip it in, cover the end with your thumb, and take it out. That said, I use a turkey baster.

Back