Red currants and wine.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tchuklobrau

Reaction score
Not sure how many people have used these lil buggers in a wine. I you have ever had thoughts of it i highly recommend it. I blew through 40lbs of red currants this summer on wines of all kinds. Red currant, red currant/blueberry, red currant/rhubarb, red currant/belgian dubbel(ok not a wine). tons of work picking that much but well worth it.

That's funny - I just read about currants in a homesteading magazine at my dentist's office - says they're really pretty easy to maintain, and very incidentally mentions how they make tasty wine :D

I suppose my answer, then, is "No- but someday I plan to"

.....I blew through 40lbs of red currants this summer on wines of all kinds. Red currant, red currant/blueberry, red currant/rhubarb, red currant/belgian dubbel(ok not a wine). tons of work picking that much but well worth it.

Can I assume you have your own bushes?

I've never used red currants, but I'm a big fan of black currants. Any opinion on the flavor and tartness of red vs black vs white? Do you have any issues with the acidity? How many lbs per gallon do you use? I try to not add too many due to the high acidity, luckily they have as much flavor as a Starburst, so I've found a little goes a long way.

I've made currant/apple port twice and love the flavor. I'm currently making a currant liqueur and a raspberry/currant liqueur. I'm starting a currant cider and a currant mead in the next few weeks. I have 100 lbs of blueberries in the freezer. I might have to add your blueberry/currant wine to my wish list.

I have 2 black currant, 2 red currant, 2 goumi currently enjoying the sun in my southward facing kitchen window spot....they will all be going in the ground when appropriate. Looking forward to their fruits, and will be thrilled to make wine from them!

Captive. with 5 bushes you should get enough to make 1-2 2g batches by the 2nd-3rd year. by year 6 they are insane.

Novafire. I used the dubbel recipe from brewing classic styles(lemme know if you dont have that ill pm u the full recipe). added 3 anise stars to the boil(60 min) used crystal hops instead of tettnang. pressed 5lbs of currants. added the pulp to the primary, the juice went into the secondary.

GinKing. Yes i Have 4 6yr old red bushes and 4 2yr old white bushes(and my buddy has 12 red bushes). I have never had a black currant so i have no reverence there, However the whites are considerably sweeter than the reds. Used 4lb/gallon for my wines.

Back