tried 1 of my 1st batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spulls

Reaction score
Is it nornal for young beers in the conditioning stage to be heavy carbed? The flavor of the beer is really good. But there is more Carbernation then I would like..

How long has it been bottled? I had my last batches of APA & IPA carb real well in 10 days. But conditioning wasn't good till 5 weeks.

It has been in for about 2 weeks. I will leave it be for another 3 to 4 weeks before I crack another one open

Time heals! My first batch of beer was the same, at 10 days I had HUGE carbonation, the head in the glass was taller than the beer! But then the head would dissipate and it was almost flat/hard tasting. After 4-5 weeks it was reaching prime and the carbonation was perfect with no off tastes. Let them rest a while longer. Be sure to put the beer in the refrigerator for at least 2 days before drinking so the CO2 can re-absorb into the beer.

About 3 weeks is usually good for carbonation. The other thing is to make sure you put them in the fridge for a minimum of 24 hours, several days is better.

2 weeks is even better still. Needed for darker/heavier beers as well. But average gravity beers will have thicker head & longer lasting carbonation.

Back