Wine yeast and kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK, making wine from two RJ Spangols "Cellermaster" kits. A Johannisburg Reisling and a Vieux Chateu du roi.

Their concentrate kits. They come with a pack of yeast that is made my lallemand, so I'm guessing it's ec-1118.

Any advantage to using a yeast like K1V-1116 or other yeast or just stick with the 1118?

Also.. what the hell should the OG be on these? They don;t say. Just "fill to the 23L mark". Which I don;lt have marked but my trust refractometer will tell me when I'm at the right OG... If I KNEW IT. :)

Also (again) anyone made champagne .. er .. "sparkling wine" from reisling?

I've only started one kit so far- but it was a winexpert kit with really good instructions and it did tell me what the s.g. was supposed to be. Still, there were no instructions on how to fix it if it was wrong, so I'm assuming that since it's a kit it is designed to be followed regardless of s.g. Maybe like a beer extract kit- no way to miss the s.g. anyway.

Still, most wines are in the 12-13% alcohol range except for the "Island Mist" kits which are lower and sweeter (like wine coolers, I guess). Most of my country wines are 1.085-1.100, and the valpollicella kit was 1.086. Does your kit have the finished ABV on it? Then we could guestimate from that.

Damn. The reisling kit was 1.074 and wasn't even at the 23L mark. Is that normal for a reisling? Since it was a concentrate kit I'm going to mix it up better to make sure it's not a water on top thing (using a refractomoter) but I pinched the end of a food grade tubing hooked up to my tap and sprayed the water in so I thought it should have been evenly mixed.

I just finished juggling a few beer related things around so I'm e abit beat.. will mix, take reading and pitch yeat later.

I'm not kit expert- but yes, that could be right. Especially if it's one of those kits that are ready to bottle and drink fairly early. Rieslings are lighter than say, merlot, and I wouldn't mess with the kit if it was at that s.g.

Back