Using natural gas from home supply

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronCity

Reaction score
I was thinking of setting up a semi-permanent place to brew in my workshop in the basement. There is a natural gas line that used to be used for a dryer that is now just plugged. I was wondering if anyone here has set up a burner off of there home natural gas line and if so what hardware they used. Thanks!

I consider myself pretty handy around the house, but I would probably just call a plumber. It's not like it's rocket science, but the price of a mistake would be...explosive. I think you have to use some specialized equipment anyway.

I've used only natural gas for the last 3 years. I brew and do seafood boils with no problems.
I started with the 10 jet NG from Northern Brewer (use that one for shrimp boils and turkey frys only)
Moved up to 23 jet for brewing.
Key point: make sure you have full 1/2" id running to the burner. Makes a huge difference (compared to when I used 3/8" hose)

Getting a tank of propane in central Tokyo is nearly impossible. Most homes have natural gas for the water heater and cooking. I called the gas company and they came out and installed a gas outlet for me (cost: $150 for the installation). The maximum size available is 3/8" so I can't use a very big burner, but it's better than the stove top in the kitchen. When I went to buy a burner they only had propane compatibles in stock so it took a week to order the burner with the correct fittings for natural gas. Got a nice 15' hose to run the gas line outside where I do my boils and it works great for 5 to 10 gallon batches.

Back