Texas Witbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RebelBrew

Reaction score
Next on the list is a Belgian Wit for summer time. Instead of the standard sour Curacao orange peel, i want to do a texas style with grapefruit. For all you yankee folk, grapefruit is the state fruit of Texas. :cross:

Since nobody carries driet grapefruit peel, i will need to use the zest. How much for a 5 gallon batch? put it in the boil, primary or secondary? How about using the juice from the grapefruit?

this will be my second batch, my first isn't even out of primary yet, I am so hooked!! Any advice from people with experience using fresh ingredients would be great

Cheers:mug:

You don't have a copy of Radical Brewing do you? I'm at work and don't have mine with me, but I'm pretty sure he mentions how many to use for a wit.

Anyone got theirs handy?

I've got Radical Brewing open and he doesn't give a specific recommendation for grapefruit that I can find other than to say it can be used.

He recommends the zest of one bitter orange per batch. If you have sweet oranges he recommends the zest of two of those with one part grapefruit zest. That combination should be similar to the bitter orange taste, which he prefers.

There might be a table somewhere, but I don't see it.

Ron

Back