Grolsch bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deejay

Reaction score
just saw a commercial for the swing top on the grolsch bottles. I was wondering if anybody has tried to reuse these and what kind of results they had.

They're 95% of what I bottle in. The other 5% is 1 liter flip tops. And yes, I have purchased cases of Grolsch, drank the beer, and am now using the bottles.

trinitone said:
They're 95% of what I bottle in. The other 5% is 1 liter flip tops. And yes, I have purchased cases of Grolsch, drank the beer, and am now using the bottles.

I seem to only be able to find the green bottles. I know that's not really a problem with proper storage but I do like the brown ones better.... dunno why...

The LHBS tend to have brown EZ cap bottles- but I think they're about $19 a case, with 16 in a case. I just use the green Grolsch bottles and keep them out of the light. I have about 150 or so Grolsch bottles. I bottle a few in regular bottles, just to have on hand for beer swaps and gifts when I don't think I'm going to get the bottles back.

Lorena

The bottles are the only reason I can think of to buy that beer. It's terrible down here in the south. Maybe it fresher in other parts of the US or maybe they know how it should be stored elsewhere. Maybe the distributor in Atlanta just doesn't care. But down here it's barely drinkable

I have over 400 Grolsch bottles that I got from our local bottle return depot. They are awesome, as long as you keep them out of the light.

What I love most about them is the time they save me when it comes time to bottle. With every homebrew I drink, I wash the bottle immediately (just with a bottle washer) and then pour in some Star-San solution, recap, shake it up, and put it away in a closed container. When it comes bottling day, I just give the bottles a good rinse inside and out, and I am ready to go!

nkonkie said:
The bottles are the only reason I can think of to buy that beer. It's terrible down here in the south. Maybe it fresher in other parts of the US or maybe they know how it should be stored elsewhere. Maybe the distributor in Atlanta just doesn't care. But down here it's barely drinkable

I've yet to have a Grolsch that wasn't skunked.

nkonkie said:

It is delicious from a tap in Holland.

Warm shipping temps coupled with long boat rides over the Atlantic make it perceived here in the USA as horse pi$$.

rdwj said:
I've yet to have a Grolsch that wasn't skunked.

Ditto on skunked. When all I did was bottle my brews I used to put 1 grolsch beer on the grocery list each time so I could slowly build up a stock of them. Having a case of grolsch would be "hard to swallow". I only have 18 or so but when I do bottle, they're great. I also use them for saving yeast.

There's this great beer called Fischer from Alsace. It comes in big brown swing-top bottles--costs between 4-5 a bottle, but the beer is good and the bottles are great.

Yea, I got one of those brown Fischer swingtops myself. Think they're 22's as well aren't they? Mine was holding some white labs CA ale yeast slurry until I kicked off a starter last night. Agree, all things equal this is a much better beer if you're after swingtops through consumption. 16oz bottles though to me are the perfect amount.

Just as an FYI, there is a guy in South Jersey selling Grolsch bottles for $1/ea. PM me if you're interested and I can point you in his direction.

trinitone said:
Just as an FYI, there is a guy in South Jersey selling Grolsch bottles for $1/ea. PM me if you're interested and I can point you in his direction.

In southern NY they can be had for $0.05 apiece. It's called a bottle return depot.

homebrewer_99 said:
Hell, a couple of months ago I went to a flea market and the guy wanted $10.00 for a brown Grolsch bottle.

I offered to sell him all of mine for $5.00 each...:D

I may sell mine for $1.00 each...any takers?

In all seriousness, possibly. Since we just started, and aren't near ready to start kegging, our bottle supply is pretty low. We could road trip out your way, or figure out if shipping them is even feasible.

PM me if you're interested.

chillHayze said:
In southern NY they can be had for $0.05 apiece. It's called a bottle return depot.
You know... we're not all lucky enough to live in one of those fancy schmancy deposit bottle states. :D Where's Newman and that mail truck when you need it?

About 60 Grolsch bottles I "inherited" from a homebrewer I met through work. He was one of our vendors and after he found out I was a fledgling homebrewer he blessed me with three cases of empties. I wish he had given me more. I never want to go back to capping bottles.

I see kegging in my future -- as soon as I get some room.

trinitone said:
You know... we're not all lucky enough to live in one of those fancy schmancy deposit bottle states. :D Where's Newman and that mail truck when you need it?

Road trip!

Yuri_Rage said:
They rock. The holy grail of homebrew bottles. Sometimes the beer inside them is even palatable if it hasn't skunked.
Oh my gosh, this post hit WAY close to home! About a week ago I poured a bottle of Grolsch and immediately smelled something wrong. My first experience with skunked beer.... being the experimental sort, I took a tiny taste. Let's just say that I now will know EXACTLY what skunked beer smells and tastes like, and I never want to experience it again. There's one more beer in the fridge and I can't bring myself to drink it. Such a shame... we used to enjoy Grolsch enough to make buying it for the bottles a worthwhile pastime. I guess I'm going to have to find another beer bottled in swingtops so I can continue collecting.

Has anybody found an inexpensive source for the washers used with either the Fischer or Grolsch bottles. My experience is that they don'r survive more than about five sanitizing dips.

cgtherp said:
Has anybody found an inexpensive source for the washers used with either the Fischer or Grolsch bottles. My experience is that they don'r survive more than about five sanitizing dips.

They have them everywhere- I see them at every homebrew store. Here's a link to austinhomebrew's supply: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=1055

They have 100 for around $8.

Back