Clean up - Splattered wort on stove top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gannawdm

Reaction score
Any tips on cleaning up splattered wort on the stove top? Once extract is added, that gunk hardens up and does not clean up easily. The only way I've been able to clean it up is with Magic Erasers, but that requires some serious elbow grease. Are there any chemicals that will dissolve it?

Thats sucks. I did it a few times and the only thing that worked well was undiluted white distilled vinegar. Soak a sponge and let it sit.

Theres this stuff I pick up called bar keepers friend that works really well on the spilled, burnt wort.
Still requires some scrubbing, but it does the job.

If you keep a damp rag handy and wipe it up as you go, it won't have a chance to harden on. If you can't do that, at least keep it wet.

Someone else suggested spreading tinfoil over the top of the stove before you start. When you're done, toss it in the trash.

I never get wort on the stovetop, but I always end up with a sticky floor by the time I'm done since I pour and splash the wort after cooling. I have a big roll of leftover rosin paper from moving in and might throw a couple sheets of that down over the kitchen floor to serve the same purpose as the foil on the stove.

All this is why I brew outdoors. But, from my earlier brewing days, I know that burnt-on wort requires serious elbow grease. Dried-on wort or extract needs soaking in the hottest water available.

I'm going to try the oven cleaner followed by vinegar followed by uber hot water. :)

This is the mess I made (sorry for my crappy phone camera pics) :

644-pic-0023-1.jpg

645-pic-0024-1.jpg

A paste of oxiclean sitting on that overnight wont get it loose?

I'd go for Easy Off I think, and hit up the inside of the oven while I was at it I guess.

A paste of oxiclean sitting on that overnight wont get it loose?

I'd go for Easy Off I think, and hit up the inside of the oven while I was at it I guess.

thats what I was gonna recommend. I made an oxyclean paste and it came right off.

Latest posts

Back