Brewing with a new friend.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I was invited down to brew with a guy I met at another home brewers party. I went there last night to show him how to do all grain brewing as he does extracts. I could not believe the equipment he had for doing extracts.. A blichman(sp) brew pot with thermometer and sight glass and false bottom....Another Blichman pot for a hot liquor tank. Bayou burners , it was some nice equipment. I noticed he had a HUGE horse watering trough ( one of those big 100 + gallon things) set up in the middle of the brewing area with a drain attachment. I asked what it was for and he had 70 gallons of sanitizer mixed up in this thing!!! He uses one step but I believe I have converted him to star san. ANYWAY he kept this trough full of one step and everything was just thrown in it including carboys. Kinda handy as hell but a LOT of stuff!! I was a bit over whelmed with trying to use equipment like this as I am a turkey fryer and converted cooler mash tun guy but It went fairly well for a first run using it. He has several beers setting around in different stages of fermentation but no temp control. I got him to make a swamp cooler for this batch. Anyway he is supposed to come here this week to brew on my hillbilly set up!

It amazes me that someone could invest that much in brewing equipment but have no fermentation temp control.

70 gallons of sanitizer is about 68 gallons more than I need in a brew day, especially when using Star San. I'd definately use the trough for cleaning purposes.

Back