Brewery names--what's your story?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I get more into brewing, I'd like to come up with science or chemistry related name. I'm a chemist, so it would only be fitting in a dorky sort of way. I've already thought of some good names for beers such as Legendre (after Legendre polynomials), ultraviolet catastrophe (the ultraviolet catastrophe as predicted by the Rayleigh-Jeans law... a y2k ale), and of course Beer's Law (and/or Lambert's Lament... Beer's Law was introduced by Beer and Lambert, but textbooks only include Beer... perhaps big beer, little beer?). And in line with my dream of starting a science-theme bar someday...

In the meantime, I'm calling it the West Washington Brewery... after my street name.

Mine is Jaded Dog Brewing Co. My wife nicknamed me Dog (don't ask me why as I have no idea, it freaks people out when she says it though) and I'm kind of a jaded person and the two seem to go together. I have pretty limited graphic art skills on the computer so no logo yet.

Mine is Legin's Brewery. Taken from my christian name spelt backwards. (No my name isnt Yrewerb!)

Was thinking of taking our family coat of arms and tailoring that for a logo - but for now batch #, and date is all that is critical! :ban:

Skibbereen Brewery. It is the town in West Cork, Ireland that my family is from. The logo is central on my labels, and before you ask, YES I do know that Massachusetts is spelled wrong on my labels. It has become an inside joke w/ my friends, as my Adobe was flaking out when making them, so I had a buddy bend the text on his and send me the layer. Did I mention that my buddy can't spell worth ****? I have been too lazy to fix it. Maybe this will motivate me.

2085-stout.jpg

My brother and I brew together and we call our beer Grit Hops. This is because he has a hip-hop group, and they call their style of music grit-hop. So they can make some grit-hop music and drink some fo the same beer. If anyone cares they can check the music out at www.grithop.com

after much thought i think we finally decided on a name for our endeavour into homebrewing...

Shade Tree Brewing ...

we figure we are kinda like the Shade Tree Mechanics.. we do a little of this and a little of that..and sometimes we do it right

plus the family crest was a tree and i kinda liked that for a background.. the irish look of it was very cool...so i wanted something to go along with it..

My grandmother died, and left me some money. That money was used to get me started in brewing. So in tribute, I used a nickname my dad and uncles had for her, and came up with...

Buzzard Bait Brewery

Still tinkering with the brewery name, but I have started naming beers after the dogs in my neighborhood, including "Cosmo Amber" after the border collie next door and "Tuckered Alt" for our dark brown rottie mutt.

teu1003 said:
Still tinkering with the brewery name, but I have started naming beers after the dogs in my neighborhood, including "Cosmo Amber" after the border collie next door and "Tuckered Alt" for our dark brown rottie mutt.

If you name your beers after dogs in the neighborhood you could alwyas stick with that on the brewery. Something like Dog Pound, Kennel, Puppy Mill -OR- go with a name from a famous dog like Rin Tin Tin, Ol' Yeller and Petey (lil' rascles), -OR- with a dog like name like Scruffy Brewing. Here is Wisconsin we have Great Dane brewing http://www.greatdanepub.com/ and III Dachshunds http://3dachshundsbeer.com/

Ok This gives me something to think about. I am relitavely new, but at the same time I need to think of a name indeed......hummmm

I named my brewery after taking drunken photos of my wife when we had company. At the time of the party my first batch was bottle conditioning. I had yet to name the beer or my brewery. I made some trial labels with her drunken photo on the label. This one stuck...

The name also placates the SWMBO since she was not too hot on the idea of me starting of this hobby.

She is currently telling me to get offline... :cross:

Perhaps been covered, and I've read some people's stories, but what's the story behind your brewery name choice? I'd love to know.

Mine is "Brick Box Brewery". I live in a duplex, and together with my neighbor's half, it's a big, square, brick building with a flat roof. Hence the name. My neighbor describes our 1947 duplexes as having "Stalinist architecture" :D

It's taken quite awhile for me to find one I like. cellar603 is our place. 603 is our street number, and we've got a lot of wine and beer in our basement. I was using that as the brewery name for awhile, but my older bro was out here a couple weeks back, and we were sitting around slugging back homebrew...and he was going on about how he always loved the name of my first porter. It was a variation on Papazian's Goat Scrotum porter...something I called "Ye Olde Scrote Aristocratic Porter"...and he suggested, nay, demanded that I name my brewery after it. So here we are.

Bonus: my brother and a friend of his who was also over at my place are both artists, and they both dig my brews...so they've offered to design a label/logo for me.

Black Swamp Brewery . The area between Detroit and Monroe Mi used to be called the Blackswamp , before it was drained .
Mad Anthony IPA
Grosse Isle Pale Ale
Dwarf Stomper Ale ( for my son he just turned 17 on Tues. he's 6'9" )

22 Miles brewery. 22 being the street number for our first house (where I started brewing) and Miles being the name of my firstborn son (who gave me reason to stay at home and learn to brew while he was brewing).

Mine is Biohazzard Brewing. I'm a microbiologist and I work on some pretty nasty bugs, so nasty in fact that I use two Zs to describe the hazard.

"Fish + Bird Brewing"

It's a Tom Waits song. 95% of my brews are named after Waits tunes, there's always an evocative turn of phrase that works well. I've sung that song to my daughter prolly nine hundred times, just about every single time I put her to sleep for her first two years.

When she was born, Cassie had a pretty severe heart condition, so we had to spend some time at the big, scary hospital in the pediatric ICU. I'll never forget rocking her to sleep, singing that song, her heart beating at twice the rate it should... not knowing if the medication was going to work or not... not good times, but something that will always stick with me.

Mine is Thirsty Hobo Brewing and there isnt much back story. Somebody gave me this Hobo figurine to make into a tap handle. I liked the way the hobo looked so I wanted to model the name/logo around him. In the future I may change it to something that pertains more to me. I wanted to do some kind of Colonial American motif but that'll come later on...

Falling Timber Brewing Co.

Most of my family has been involved in the logging industry at one time or another and for quite a few years growing up falling timber kept food on the table.

I like Pirates - not enough to dress up or talk like one or anything... but the idea of pirates. When I was a kid, I was fasinated by the idea of sending someone to walk the plank or throwing someone overboard to their watery grave... hence Deep Six. Morbid, I know... Plus, it sounds kinda naughty. :D

Mine is simple. We live off a road named Toepperwein. I like the name so named the brewery Töpperwein Brewing.

Broken Leg Brewery. I was always interested in making wine but never had time. A couple of years ago, during a hockey game, my own teammate took me out and broke my leg.

I finally had time to make wine and the woman who broke my leg has always made wine so I asked her how- I figured she owed me! I later found out that wine takes FOREVER, so I started making beer.

My wine labels say "Broken Leg Cellars". I need a logo but haven't come up with anything yet.

Almaden KG Brewery

Almaden - name of my neighborhood
Kitchen
Garage

Most of the actual brewing happens in the back yard these days, but that wasn't always the case.

I'm still working on my first batch but a name was easy for me. Black Belt Brewing. When not drinking a brew, I'm practing my martial art or training with some friends in mixed martial arts. :rockin:

My UFC parties are going to be real fun once the brew starts flowing steadily. Plus, my training pays off when I'm in bars with a bunch of stupid drunks doing stupid things.

Howlinowl Third World Brewing. My friend took one look at my all-grain set up and said that it looked like something used in the third world. I liked the name Third World brewing, but I had the domain www.howlinowl.com registered and hosted forever, but haven't really put anything worthwhile up. Figured I'd add the Howlinowl to the Third World Brewing so I could use that for a website. Short of designing a logo, I haven't really done anything with the site since.

Howlinowl was a name that the same friend gave me over 20 years ago. He started calling me Howlin' Allan. Eventually, it was shortened to Howlin' Al, then became Howlinowl. I've used it for just about every username for every forum I've ever joined. It also was the name for a short lived rock band (we sucked).

Allan

I haven't really settled on anything yet, but I've made some preliminary labels dealing with Obfuscation Brewing Co.

To obfuscate, is to become confused. Something that can happen quite a bit when one imbibes with homebrew.

I kinda want to incorporate something about Sweden and Biochemistry though, since I'm a biochemist who loves his family heritage.

I'm a big fan of Film Noir and one of my favorite films is the 1948 Jules Dassin film "Naked City" thus the name Naked City Brewing Company.

"Expose Yourself
Naked City Gold Badge Seattle web.jpeg

...to Great Beer!"

HopHed Brewhaus. I use a couple of ascii characters in the name, but I can't get them to appear in here.

It ended up HopHed because Hophead was taken and well... I'm a hophead.

Damn Good Brewing Company

Named by a good friend of mine-- whenever he tried my beer, he would say, "That's damn good beer!" He's a graphic designer, so he created a logo for me. I like the way the initials "dgb" and it has a pleasant graphical symmetry to it.

dgb_logo_large.jpg

I'm working on some labels inspired by Smuttynose, but they haven't been "approved" by my graphic designer friend yet. :)

-Steve

Back