2008 hop harvest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
BYO has an article on the harvest. Comes down to better than 2007, but not by much. The cold weather prevented the new plantings from producing much this year. Also noted, virtually all of the new plantings in the USA are high-alpha hops, so there might not be much improvement in aroma hop area for several years.

On an interesting note, the article says the pros normally manage to get an 80% harvest from a new plant. Hard to believe, unless they are splitting crowns.

Would be nice to see hop prices come down along with fuel prices... that would be a good reason to drink... I mean brew. Some stores are now down to $2 an ounce, some are still raping us with $4 hops though, OUCH

The cold weather prevented the new plantings from producing much this year
What ever happened to global warming :D? lolol

Would be nice to see hop prices come down along with fuel prices
Doubt it. Gas went up, so foodstuffs went up. Gas went down, food stayed the same. I noticed today I used to buy a bag of frozen chicken breasts from Walmart (house brand) for $10 for 6lbs IIRC. Now its $8, but only 3lbs, so the price essentially almost doubled, though gas has gone down about $1.40 a gallon since last time I filled up.

Well, it is like us at the airline... dont expect to see our ticket prices go down immediately. We are still trying to cover the expense of not IMMEDIATELY raising ticket prices, I presume there is something similar going on elsewhere, making up for losses and padding the bank a little.

Freshops is the best place to get hops, hands down. 2 dollar ounces of most varieties, 2 pound max for most varieties, and simply the freshest hops I've ever used (hence the name I suspect :D)

Freshops is the best place to get hops, hands down. 2 dollar ounces of most varieties, 2 pound max for most varieties, and simply the freshest hops I've ever used (hence the name I suspect :D)

Just got mine on Friday, I'm aching to brew.

Freshops looks like a nice place for me to drop $100 on hops. At $2 an ounce, I would be set for 2009. With so many places still charging $3.50-$5 an ounce for 2007 hops, why wouldn't everyone be buying thier hops from Freshops?

Dropped $85 at Freshops for 42oz... bam, 2009 at Circle City Brewing is supplied, looking to 2010...

Back