Dont use seirra nevada bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpfeil8484

Reaction score
So I bottled with used seirra bottles cleaned and sanitized of course. I got thru half the batch and noticed little glass shards coming outta my capper. Looked at a bottle and the capper was breaking the lip off the bottles some were more cracked than others. Has anyone else had this pproblem

I just used founders bottles today and had the same thing with a wing capper, broke 3 of them, had to dump a bunch of others into a long neck as I filled them already, I marked them so I'll know if/why they are terrible. Sucks, it was a 2 gallon batch, of the 19 in bottles, 6 or so might be ruined and 3 were dumped.

Never a problem with SN bottles, but have had about 6 Founders bottles do that, they have thinner neck.

i've bottled around 30 batches of brew using SN bottles and have never had any of them chip. I've never had any other bottles chip either. I'de assume your capper is defective or maybe you are applying to much pressure. I guess there a chance the bottles are no good but I doubt it.

I cracked a SN bottle on my last batch - after noticing, I was very careful with the other SN bottles I had left to cap & had no problems after going slower & using less pressure.

Never had a problem with SN bottles..Give them a snug cap, then turn 90 degrees and apply the same pressure. Gently swirl...Sit.

I once had an issue with a bunch of bottles chipping using a wing capper. Turned out that the metal plate that grabs the neck of the bottle had a small defect in it. I filled off the defect and sanded it smooth, and no more issues. I also cracked a couple once using the capper with the plates in backwards, so that the 29mm side was facing the bottles instead of the 26mm side.

I don't bottle much anymore, but when I do I use the stubby Sierra Nevada and Lagunitas bottles exclusively.

I've been using them for about 5 years now and the only one I have ever broken was because I didn't adjust the cappers height when I cranked it down.

More than half of the bottles in my collection are various SN bottles.

I have a ton of SN bottles and I haven't had a problem yet. I only had one problem with a broken bottle while bottling. It was a long neck bottle that broke right at the top of the neck. Cant think of what kind of bottle it was because I have so many different kinds but I haven't had a problem since.

I've only ever broken one bottle with my wing capper and it was a long neck. I've got a bunch of Sierra and founders bottles.

Back