Cleaning after first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norwayson

Reaction score
Hello,
I have recently finished bottling my first batch and I have a question about cleaning my equipment. I've tried to clean my stainless steel pot and primary fermenter (a food grade, five gallon bucket), but there is still a residual smell of wort/beer. Is this a problem?

Also, what are good cleaning methods for carboys? I rinsed out with oxiclean, then sanitizer, but I still smell a strong beer smell.

And finally, what is a good cleaning method for a syphon? Any opinions are much appreciated.

You should try B-Brite to clean your equipment & Star San to sanitize. Great products. Go to Midwest supplies and check them out.

My buckets smell like hops no matter what I do.

As far as the siphon, I rinse well to make sure there are no solids, then sanitize immediately before the next use.

Mine always smell like beer after cleaning unless I bleach bomb them. I do the ratio for a 5 gallon batch of bleach and just let all my equipment sit in it. It won't hurt any of my equipment sitting in the bleach water and I know it's sanitized when I'm ready to brew. Just rinse it off really well until you can't smell the bleach anymore. And me, it may be overboard, but right before I put the wort into the fermenter, I'll spray the inside 1 more time with StarSan just to make sure. Never have had any infection problems following this method. (knock on wood)

I wash out my fermenter to get the yeast & excess gunk out first. Then add 4TBSP of PBW & fill with water & soak for a week. Then open the spigot with mt homer cheapo bucket under it to wash out the spigot as well. rinse & starsan it. Then remove the spigot & use starsan & a paper towel to clean the spigot mounting hole & soak the spigot in PBW. I scrub them with some aquarium lift tube brushes. Rinse & sanitize,re-install.
The spigot & mountinh hole area seem to hold a lot of the smell. but the PBW soak & starsan seem to get the smells out,even 2 years on for my fermenters.

Back