sierra nevada extract clone advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rydnly5

Reaction score
Just got back from homebrew store to get supplies for a sierra Nevada clone. This will be my 2nd batch I have done so I still have a lot of questions about the process.

The ingredients I was given were:
3lb can of muntons premium bitter kit
3lb plain amber spray malt extract
2 oz of cascade hops

According to muntons directions it says to add syrup to the fermenter w both boiling and cold water, but I was assuming to add the syrup and dry malt to create wort and add 1 oz of hops 20 mins into boil and 1 oz of hops with 7 mins left to boil.

I am trying to figure out the best process with ingredients I purchased.

Did you kit come with any other instructions? The extract kits from my local shop come with fairly detailed instructions. The process is to boil X amount of water (somewhere in the range of 1.5-2.5 gallons), remove from heat and add extract, then top off to 2.5-3.5 gallons. Boil this for 60 minutes, adding hops at the 60 minute, 15 minute, and 2 minute mark. Of course this varies from recipe to recipe so maybe your hop additions are right, but in my experience there have always been 3 hop additions (bittering at 60, flavor at 15, and aroma at 2).

i did not get a kit, i just asked the salesperson to give me ingredients that would get me close to a sierra nevada flavor. i just thought that the can extract said to add the can to the fermenter and not boil it along with DME. The can extract is mostly for bittering so i think that i should be ok with two hop additions. i will try it tonight and see how it goes.

You'll get a better bitter flavor with a 60 hop boil instead of the bittering extract. Use extract for the sugar content but use hops for your bitter/flavor/aroma profile

Latest posts

Back