Bottling Sour Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmos

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Wasn't sure if I should put this in the packaging area or here; seemed a bit more specialized so I thought you folks might have more insight:

I am planning on bottling my first sour beer (an Oud Bruin) in the coming weeks. It has been sitting in the 1.020s for about 6 months now -- a bit higher FG than I had hoped for, but what can you do. It has a great tartness and I am pleased with it as a first stab at a sour beer.

I wanted to see what everyone's preferred package was for their sour beers. I was planning to add some champagne yeast and bottling sugar. What kind of bottle should I use? I have been led to understand that it is better to use thicker-walled bottles since some refermentation will go on. I also have the ability to cork them, and thought that might make a nice "presentation". Should I spring for champagne-style bottles? Brown Belgian-styled 750ml?

As always, thanks for your insight!

If it was my beer, I'd pitch some more bugs, bottle dregs etc. and give it another 6 months to dry out a bit. I'd be worried that the Brett or Pedio would wake up and get going in the bottles.

If it's done, Champagne yeast (~1 g, rehydrated) and priming sugar is exactly what I do.

I bottle most of my sours in regular 12 oz bottles, although I usually do a few bigger bottles from each batch for sharing. Corks are pretty too, although they don't actually improve the beer. Heavy bottles would be especially valuable in this case, it doesn't take much of a drop to produce a lot of extra CO2.

If it was my beer, I'd pitch some more bugs, bottle dregs etc. and give it another 6 months to dry out a bit. I'd be worried that the Brett or Pedio would wake up and get going in the bottles.

Same thoughts here. I doubt an Oud Bruin is really done at 6 months. Give that thing some more time! (I finally bottled my last one at 14 months, for reference.)

Thanks folks! That is very helpful. I will pitch some dregs and sit on my hands for a few more months :D

Back