Hops for IPA or maybe IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinch

Reaction score
going to be brewing some sort of ipa or iipa tomorrow. the rough plan is

2 row
vienna malt
60L

but I wanted to know how these hops might go together... I have an ounce of each.

Magnum
Northern Brewer
citra

I also have some columbus & centennial in the freezer but was going to save them for another brew.

Any ideas or suggestions?

The NB will get lost in there.

Use the Magnum to bitter, be it your 60 min addition, or FWH.

Use the Columbus or Centennial for the flavor additions, and toss in the Citra at flame out.

Problem is.. for a DIPA, you need more hops. An oz of those aren't going to do much of anything.

I'd do.. 1oz of Magnum FWH

.5 Columbus @ 15

.5 centennial @ 10

.5 Citra @ 5

.5 Centennial @ flame out

Use the last .5 of Citra to dry hop with, and get something else to toss in with it and make a simple IPA.

Certainly!!

Do the same hop schedule there, do 1 oz of the Centennial @ 10 minutes, and do .5 Citra, and .5 of Centennial for dry hop and I think you'd have a really nice IPA there. Fruity, citrusy and earthy.

well I took your advice with the hop schedule. the grain was:
13 lb 2 row
1 lb vienna
12oz 60L

I figured I had about a half gallon to burn off, so I did. had some issues with my turkey fryer... seemed to die out in the last 20 minutes. so my buddy ran home to get his and we got the boil going again. ended up with OG 1.078! Hoping for good things. Thanks for the help!

Nice man, sounds pretty good!

Sounds like a nice simple malt bill there, and would stand up nice to that schedule!

Gave it a try tonight after about 1 week in the bottle... Still flat but - this is going to be really good in another month!

Back