Temperature probe connection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbarr21

Reaction score
Am looking to have a temperature probe connection on my brutus system so that. Can easily disconnect the probes when not in use.
I have seen some people use phono connections to do this but I have no idea how to do this... Any help/insight would be awesome

theelectricbrewery.com has a wonderful tutorial on lots of different parts, they have a section for how they do the temp probes

I used 3 pin XLR connectors. Which is what electric brewery uses. you just solder the wires on the back and you are good to go. Search Ebay or Amazon, I believe mine was less than $10 for both male and female sides including shipping.

My probe only has 2 wires not sure why need the 3 pin, I like the good clean look of the connection though, would it be possible to use the 1/4 in phono plug?

Am looking to have a temperature probe connection on my brutus system so that. Can easily disconnect the probes when not in use.
I have seen some people use phono connections to do this but I have no idea how to do this... Any help/insight would be awesome

What kind of help are you looking for?

The 3.5mm minijack plugs that you buy unscrew and generally present two different wire solder points (three for stereo). Take your wire lead, cut it, solder one side to the male and the other to the female, and you're done!

I use stereo plugs for my fridge temp controller. Uses 3 wires anyway for 5v, ground, and data. But that is a digital sensor. You could use whatever you want for connectors since it is low current. Whatever you have access to or think looks best.

Hi

Best to start at the beginning:

1) What sort of probes are you using (thermocouple, RTD, digital, thermistor...)?

2) How many wires are you running to your probe?

3) Are you worried about RFI (do you have a cell phone....)?

4) Is water involved (is it outdoors ...)?

5) How close are your connectors to stuff that gets hot (like burners...) ?

Lots of different paths to a solution depending on what you are doing.

Bob

carlisle_bob said:
Hi

Best to start at the beginning:

1) What sort of probes are you using (thermocouple, RTD, digital, thermistor...)?

2) How many wires are you running to your probe?

3) Are you worried about RFI (do you have a cell phone....)?

4) Is water involved (is it outdoors ...)?

5) How close are your connectors to stuff that gets hot (like burners...) ?

Lots of different paths to a solution depending on what you are doing.

Bob

1) it is a PTC probe with I love controller tsx
2) there are 2 wires in the probe
3) don't know about RFI, yes I have a cell phone
4) water is involve but will not touch the connection
The connections are ~2 ft from the closest burner

Looking for the easiest (functional) solution with a panel mount connection

Hi

Ok, you want a connector that will give you the two wires for the probe and one wire for the sheild. You want to keep the cell phone out of the system...

XLR's are nice if you have the room and need to disconnect things often. If not, there are a lot of screw down connectors.

Bob

Hi

Sheild is the third "wire" in the cable. It wraps around the other two to protect them from picking up "stuff". It gets grounded at the controller end. It may / may not be grounded at the sensor end depending on just how things are hooked up.

Bob

Back