First All grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekbiker1500

Reaction score
So, first all-grain batch finished. I think it went pretty well overall but...

1. I fell short of volume. I used about 11 gallons of water w/ a 13.5 lb grain bill. My guess is that I have more equipment loss than I allowed for. So I will bump up my allowance there for the next one.

2. I couldn't get below 77 deg w during chilling with my pump, counterflow chiller. I had to put the primary in the fridge to finish cooling. I used a water recirc pump w/ my old immersion chiller in an ice bath to keep the cooling water as cold as possible, but no joy.

I would love to have any insights into this all grain process that the more experienced folks might have.

thanks

J

I finished my first all brain today also. Oddly ihad the same issues. I hit my target OG but my volume was way off. I think I didn't have my system calibrated to my software. I think I missed my dead space exploration and boil off rates. Did you bit your target gravity?

I actually ended up just a tad over expected gravity...hmmmm I suppose I could have topped up my fermenter. I am really most concerned about the chilling efficiency. I ran the system a long time and just couldn't get under 77. I am thinking a restricted orifice in the discharge from the cooling water return to ensure good heat transfer...

Also, just pitched the yeast and the yeast vile basically exploded when I opened it. That was interesting.

1. I fell short of volume. I used about 11 gallons of water w/ a 13.5 lb grain bill. My guess is that I have more equipment loss than I allowed for.

J

That's a lot of water! If you're brewing a 5 gallon batch and you started with that much water and fell short in the end then you are losing way to much to your equipment IMHO!

I wouldn't doubt I need to tighten up the equipment loss. I started the boil with approx 7 gals (assuming that the sight glass was accurate).

was hoping for 5.5 in the fermenter and ended up with 4.5.

I wouldn't doubt I need to tighten up the equipment loss. I started the boil with approx 7 gals (assuming that the sight glass was accurate).

was hoping for 5.5 in the fermenter and ended up with 4.5.

That doesn't sound right. You might want to double check that sight glass.

Back