need some recipe advice quick!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dummkauf

Reaction score
Ok, so I had planned on brewing up Yoopers 60 min DFH clone tonight(extract version). Steeped the 1 pound of Cara 40L for an hour at 150, removed grains, and got it to a boil and started adding the extract. Got the 1st bag in and realized I bought wheat instead of Light extrat :drunk:

So now I'm committed to brewing this up, the question is what should I do. I've got my last packet of pacman ready to go, but I don't want to use it on a wheat(love this recipe w/ pacman!!!), so I plan on having a 2nd brew day tomorrow morning to brew this recipe up right with the pacman.

So the question is, what to do with this wheat. The grains have been steeped and wheat extract is in, so now I just need to come up with a recipe.

What I have to work with:
1 oz fuggle hop plugs
1 oz warrior pellets
1lb simcoe leaf
1lb amarillo leaf
1lb centennial
1lb cascade
ordered up a bunch of hops when Simcoe became available again so I'm well stocked now :)
couple packets of nottingham.

going to start googling recipes now, but just thought I'd see if anyone had any suggestoins?

Throw some warrior in at 60 minutes to get you to 25 IBUs or so then add some cascades at 15 and some amarillos at 5. Should make for a tasty American wheat beer.

thanks for the tip. I also just discovered a couple bags of frozen strawberries in the fridge, debating making a fruit wheat now.....would it be better to toss them in at the end of the boil, or in the primary/secondary?

dummkauf said:
thanks for the tip. I also just discovered a couple bags of frozen strawberries in the fridge, debating making a fruit wheat now.....would it be better to toss them in at the end of the boil, or in the primary/secondary?

Most fruit is best added to secondary. Adding to the boil can cause problems with pectin haze and will drive off lots of the delicate aromas/flavors.

interesting...the maybe I'll try the secondary with this one. Last wheat with fruit I brewed was from Extreme Brewing with Kiwi and it recommended adding the kiwi right at the end of the boil(which is why I was thinking of doing that with this one)...though I've never tried it in secondary with beer, so it might be good to try it out

dummkauf said:
interesting...the maybe I'll try the secondary with this one. Last wheat with fruit I brewed was from Extreme Brewing with Kiwi and it recommended adding the kiwi right at the end of the boil(which is why I was thinking of doing that with this one)...though I've never tried it in secondary with beer, so it might be good to try it out

Im surprised the recipe said to add the kiwi in the boil. Did you have a problem with haze? How was the flavor/aroma?

Im surprised the recipe said to add the kiwi in the boil. Did you have a problem with haze? How was the flavor/aroma?

It definitely wasn't clear, though most wheats aren't usually crystal clear either.

I'm not a huge wheat fan myself, but I thought it was very good. It had just a slight hint of kiwi(which is good because I can't stand super fruity beers). My wife loved it, and one of my friends who generally only drinks wheat beers said it was one of the best he'd ever had.

And it wasn't really added during the boil, it was added at flame out and allowed to sit and steep for 20 min before chilling the wort(just ran downstairs to double check the recipe)

also, after double checking that recipe, I might dump the stawberries in at the end of the boil like that kiwit, and then later pick up a couple vanilla beans to drop into the primary or secondary. Thinking a stawberry/vanilla wheat might be interesting....plus this whole batch is one big experiment at this point anyhoo :D

dummkauf said:
also, after double checking that recipe, I might dump the stawberries in at the end of the boil like that kiwit, and then later pick up a couple vanilla beans to drop into the primary or secondary. Thinking a stawberry/vanilla wheat might be interesting....plus this whole batch is one big experiment at this point anyhoo :D

Go for it. Though maybe keep any flavor/aroma hops minimal. Not sure how they would work with both the strawberry and vanilla.

Good luck :mug:

Thanks for the advice!

I also just realized this is somewhat fitting. That other book with the Kiwit recipe was written by Sam Calagione....and since I had intended to brew up a clone of his 60 min IPA tonight, I might just take a page out of his book with this one :D

might have to add some stawberries to secondary too. Just realized that last one called for 4Lbs of Kiwi at the end of the boil, I only had 20oz of strawberries, so I guess I'll have to wait til it's done fermenting, pull a sample, and then decide if I want to add anymore.

Back