Cheap & Easy 10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanted to add an option for 1/2 inch valve users because I wasn't quite sure how to do it. I was upgrading the cooler and already had the parts.

I got all this stuff at a local hardware so I'll do my best listing the items,
1/2 inch Brass ball valve
3 -Stainless Steel Washers that happen to fit into the plastic molded hole of the cooler.
2- rubber o rings
Brass coupler which I intend to replace with a shorter steel one.

IMG_2906.jpg

Everything put together
IMG_2907.jpg

See what I mean about the ss washers, cool huh
IMG_2911.jpg

Tested it with 8 gallons of water for an hour, no leak
IMG_2913.jpg

I wanted to add an option for 1/2 inch valve users because I wasn't quite sure how to do it. I was upgrading the cooler and already had the parts.

Looks similar to what I bought the other day. Did you see if it leaks when you try and open the valve? Mine flexes a little too much for my liking... Were the stainless washers at HD?

Looks similar to what I bought the other day. Did you see if it leaks when you try and open the valve? Mine flexes a little too much for my liking... Were the stainless washers at HD?

HD? Homedepot?

No Local Hardware.

I opened and close does not wiggle or leak.

This design is very similar to what I did. Same exact cooler from Home Depot.

I took the really easy route and just used a spigot assembly from a hot water heater. It had all the flanges, interior nipple, and valve already built in. In total I bought 4 parts: The hot water heat spigot, the cooler, a SS gas heater line for a braided mesh and a nipple to go on the end of the water spigot.

I spent more though trying to keep it simple. Maybe an extra $5. Love the simplicity of the design.

I like your design and the right up. Good job.

evandena said:
I'll check there tomorrow.
Was it in hardware by the other washers?

Yes, but on the opposite end of the regular washers. They were in a small bag that said SS on it.

I had to buy my washers in a big pack from Fastenal, and I'd happily sell the rest to anyone who wants some. My cost was about $1.20 each, so I believe a fair and simple price would be $5 for 4, shipping included.

EDIT: SOLD.

My braid is beat up from stirring after 20-25 batches. Time for a new braid after a couple of stuck sparges. I'm going to go with a tee and a hoop design this time. Seems like the hoop may stay more stable than a single braid flopping around?

ronstar55 said:
My braid is beat up from stirring after 20-25 batches. Time for a new braid after a couple of stuck sparges. I'm going to go with a tee and a hoop design this time. Seems like the hoop may stay more stable than a single braid flopping around?

I will probably do that to when this one goes out. And since my boss spends half his 4 hour work day with his nose in the McMaster catalogue ill probably have him rustle up a 1/2" SS spring to fortify the braid.

I will probably do that to when this one goes out. And since my boss spends half his 4 hour work day with his nose in the McMaster catalogue ill probably have him rustle up a 1/2" SS spring to fortify the braid.

I like the spring idea!

I envy you bro, I just tried to fix my leaker, now its got the standard brass ball valve etc. But I have a SS 1/2 & tried to find your washers tonight at Menards, the only place packing SS Washers, nothing that beautiful in stock. Maybe when I get some petro I can check out fastenal and see wassup, tomorrow I will try to see if the LHBS has SS weldless bulk head and do it that way. ha:ban: I said Bulk Head.

I got all this stuff at a local hardware so I'll do my best listing the items,
1/2 inch Brass ball valve
3 -Stainless Steel Washers that happen to fit into the plastic molded hole of the cooler.
2- rubber o rings
Brass coupler which I intend to replace with a shorter steel one.

IMG_2906.jpg

Everything put together
IMG_2907.jpg

See what I mean about the ss washers, cool huh
IMG_2911.jpg

Tested it with 8 gallons of water for an hour, no leak
IMG_2913.jpg

Tkelly32 said:
I envy you bro, I just tried to fix my leaker, now its got the standard brass ball valve etc. But I have a SS 1/2 & tried to find your washers tonight at Menards, the only place packing SS Washers, nothing that beautiful in stock. Maybe when I get some petro I can check out fastenal and see wassup, tomorrow I will try to see if the LHBS has SS weldless bulk head and do it that way. ha:ban: I said Bulk Head.

The SS washers at my Menards weren't by the other washers. I had ask someone and he went an isle over and found one.

Just finished my first MLT. These instructions rocked! The guys at Home Depot were cool. They got the chery picker out and got the last 10gal cooler they had until the spring orders off the top of the outdoor garden center racks. I was surprised they did that. Ayway, this is going to be fun. Tomorrow I'll pressure test it with some water. Hopefully i did this right and no leaks will happen! ---> fingers crossed :)

kappclark said:
My braid finally collapsed, so I replaced with stainless kettle screen, and the flow is so much better...

Where and how did you do the kettle screen? I'm may be having the same issue.

Inflation has really hit and you can no longer make it for the same price, but it is still cheaper to do it this way than buying the kit in the beer store. The parts cost me about $37 and the 10 gal. Rubbermaid cooler was $46 at Home Depot. I bought my SS washers and rubber ring seal at Fastenal. The only modification I had to make on your outstanding directions was that I needed 6 fender washers as spacers on the outside (so 7 washers total). Other than that, everything went together very easily. The pix included helped a ton as well. Thanks a bunch!

Ditto. I just got all of my parts and started to put it together and am definitely going to need at least one, possibly two more washers on the outside. I got the build-a-bolt kit which came with 4xSS washers, and picked up two just in case. Looks like it's going to be 7 or 8 for me.

I don't know if the cooler has changed slightly, or if it's a difference in the Home Depot branded model or what.

Anyway, can't wait to have this thing done and jump int my first AG batch.

I've not had a problem with my SS braid in 11 batches, but after brewing the other day, my braid was all squiggly. So I thought it was done for, but just went in an compressed it towards the valve and it went back to normal and works fine now.

One thing I did when I replaced my worn out braid was to add copper tubing to the inside of the braid. I just cut a couple of short pieces of copper with slits in them and fed them inside the braid. It adds some structure to the braid and also serves to weigh it down. It worked like a champ on my first brew day with it.

Do you need SS washers on the outside too, or can they be regular zinc-plated? I notice in the original parts list only the inside washer is specified as SS.

I disagree. I used to use Zinc on the outside till I had a rust problem. The rust although not damaging it got all over the place.

As said above, the outside fenders don't come into contact with the mash. If it doesn't come into contact with the mash, the material doesn't matter.

Why is the outside of you MLT getting wet?

I was thinking maybe he stores it in a garage or shed and dew gets on it? For me, mine is stored indoors and the washers don't really get wet so I don't have much to worry about. I'll keep an eye on it though I suppose.

I was thinking maybe he stores it in a garage or shed and dew gets on it? For me, mine is stored indoors and the washers don't really get wet so I don't have much to worry about. I'll keep an eye on it though I suppose.

No I don;t. I store it in doors but I do clean it and hose it down after every use. It wont affect the wort but either way I was able to go stainless this time to avoid replacements.

I just got the cpvc to replace my braid. Did you sand off (or somehow take off) the black labeling on the cpvc?

I left the labeling on mine and after a dozen batches or so, I've noticed no off flavors. DeafSmith mentioned on a different thread that acetone will take the labeling right off. You could try that if you don't want the labeling on the pipe.

Back