Mad Millie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storunner13

Reaction score
I've been looking around at various kits/equipment for cheese making...
And it seems Mad Mille is the cheapest (probably because they aren't imported from France?..) (Then again, I just checked and Mad Millie is from New Zealand...)

Anyway..has anyone used their equipment/products? Are they just as good or better than those typically found in homebrew stores? I'm mostly looking at homebrew4less and their products and prices (and other cool stuff..Mother of Vinegar?!)

I once tried to make cheese in my own press made out of PVC... but it failed because of my lack of good temperature practices. I might try it again, but I figure I might as well get some good equipment, rennet, and cultures for the next time.

I've been using the kits found here http://www.cheesemaking.com/

I dont like the mold it comes with but <meh> it works I'll be making a new one as soon as I can find a section of 6inch PVC thats not sold in 10 foot sections :D. I made a cheese press for ext to nothing and picked up a few free weights to use for the actual weight. Son as I am done putzing around in the yard I'll post a photo of the press . . . but for now back to work.

I bought the biginner kit from madmillie. i will try it tonight or tommorow! everything seems good in the kit, but i never made cheese before..!

I tried the PVC method (failed, not because of my press), but it seems that there isn't a good way for the extra moisture to be pressed out. Do you plan on adding holes along the length of the PVC?

Do you plan on adding holes along the length of the PVC?

yup, lots of them. I have some smaller drill bits I picked up for the kids pinewood derby cars I planned on using.
Didnt get a chance to take some pictures of the press but it is basically 2 boards stacked kept in place by 4 long bolts (no nuts). Weight is added by the placement of the freeweights. Right now I can add any amount up to 20lbs. To do more then that I'm gonna have to buy more weight.

Back