Dogfish Head 90 Clone Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmpitags2006

Reaction score
Hey y'all I got my BYO magazine with the 13 hoppiest beers and I want to do a DFH 90 clone, but I have a couple of questions with their recipe. I can't do all grain so I usually do a mini-mash. I just want to make sure I am understanding what they are saying here.

8.0lbs DME (doesn't say which type I am assuming light)

1.75lbs Pilsner Malt (also doesn't say which type so I am also assuming on this Undermodified Pilsen Malt)

1.66lbs Amber Malt (35*L which I don't know what that means and I am not sure if this is LME or what)

2.0oz Amarillo ~8.0% alpha 90-0
0.62oz Simcoe ~13% alpha 90-0
0.53oz Warrior ~15% alpha 90-0
1.0oz Amarillo (dry hop)
0.5oz Simcoe (dry hop)
0.5oz Warrior (dry hop)
1 tsp. Irish Moss (15 min)
Wyeast 1099 (Whitebread ale)

Their All-Grain recipe had
16.5 lbs Pilsner Malt
1.66 lbs Amber Malt (35*L) again not sure what that is

Sorry for all the questions y'all

-G

The "L" in your amber malt is not refering to Liquid. It is refering to the Lovbond scale. The Lovibond scale is a system used to describe the color intenaity of beer. At 35L you should be reciving some nice color. But if I have used Amber DME when making my IPA. But it just depends on the clairity at which you would like your IPA to appear. And as far as the undermodified Pisen, I have not used is, but as far as I read it would not be a bad choice.

Good luck in your beer. I love IPA's. Let us know how it turned out.
Cheers

I've made the 60 minute clone and changed it slightly, but I believe the amber malt called for was the Thomas Fawcett amber malt- I didn't have that so I substituted maris otter which I like better anyway.

I don't know about the pilsner malt- but as far as DME I'd use extra light if you can find it. It'll give you a lighter color but otherwise it's the same as light DME. I use extra light for priming and my starters, too.

Latest posts

Back