12 gallon pyrex? Brag alert.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arkowa

Reaction score
I was at the LHBS to grab a quickie, grain and yeast for a hef, typical day in the neighborhood.

On my way out the door I saw a beautiful - abet a little worn looking - 12 gallon glass pyrex cayboy - for sale - handmade sign - $49.

*gasp*

A quick phone call to SWMBO was made and now I am a proud father.

I am amazed how pricy pyrex carboys retail! Time to start exploring batches > 6 gal.

I've eyed that carboy quite a few times at the same LHBS - the price has been dropping - I think it was $69 a few weeks ago.

Congrats and enjoy.

Logistics will be a problem. Since my max capacity is 6 gallons per boil kettle, I figure a two batch day (a no chill early in the morning and an immersion chilled batch in the evening) - both are light enough to pour separately into elevated carboy. This way I will never have to deal with moving the SOB full. Keg a batch and bottle a batch - or double bottle bucket it. Sooo many options :ban:

I felt a fear like I've never felt walking through the LHBS neighborhood to my car. Lots of construction, loose pebbles, and curbs to walk over! White knuckle, baby!

Bigger brag alert.......My father in law gave me a 30 gal carboy, and yes it is huge !!!!! I have absolutely no intention on using it mainly because of the weight of it empty. It sits in my garage and who knows maybe one day I will use it.

upperNY01brewer said:
Bigger brag alert.......My father in law gave me a 30 gal carboy, and yes it is huge !!!!! I have absolutely no intention on using it mainly because of the weight of it empty. It sits in my garage and who knows maybe one day I will use it.

I can't even imagine a 30 gallon glass vessel! Over 1/2 barrel of fermenter... Drool

I happen to own a 5gal pyrex carboy and that thing is a lot heavier than a regular one when full. For the 12gal I'd probably want to build some sort of permanent stand for it since I don't have any co2 pushing abilities.

That's a sweet score, congrats.

I would use it to make really big starters. Being that it's Pyrex, you could boil it directly on the stove top. How convenient is that?

Back