Kegerator conversion... Freezer in the way!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevcasey

Reaction score
Has anyone made a kegerator out of a mini fridge with a freezer in it? My buddy has a like new fridge he is going to sell me for really cheap, but it has a small freezer in it. I would hate to pass this deal up and I've read a few articles that this is possible, but if it's a huge pain I'd rather keep looking for a fridge w/o a freezer. If you have done this with your kegerator please let me know what you think or if it's worth it. Thanks in advance!

From what I understand you need to flatten the freezer out and bend it down and out of the way. It can be tricky, but you can use a soup can to make the bends without damaging the freon lines.

If you want to build a DIY kegerator, then check out the DIY Kegerator build in my sig, it will give you the model (which has changed, but is the same thing) and everything you need and need to do in order to complete the project, if anything take a look to get an idea of how/what to do.

The real answer is maybe. I am assuming this is a (Freezer) cold plate with a door in front of it like mine is. I doubted the ability to make it work for years before going through with it, it fits 1 Corny and Gas so its still beats bottling. If so you can defrost the fridge, and by that I mean leave it unplugged for at least a day until the cold plate feels room temperature. Then you can carefully, think if the metal kinks or cracks the fridge is toast, bend the plate back and fit in a Corny keg.:ban: Doing this will require a temp controller but you can find out about that in other threads.

IMAG0036.jpg

^^This is what I was trying to explain^^

Again, use a soup can to make your bends, and Shagg makes a point that is easily looked over, make sure that your fridge is at room temperature (unplugged, and opened long enough to be completely defrosted, and no/very little pressure in the freon lines) to make the bends without cracking or splitting your cooling lines.

I went with a Ranco ETC-111000 after reading around, you can usually get them for ~$60 shipped, then what ever value you place on an old extension cord you'll need to cut to hook it up. Just google (or HBT Search), ranco wiring and there are a few good pictorials (to give to your electrician:rolleyes:).

DIY forum should cover just about all your options.

Good Luck, Take Pics
:mug:

Thanks so much! will definitely take pics on the progress... have to find a fridge first the one I checked out tonight was almost the right shape, just not wide enough for 2 kegs.

Kev

Back