Very hoppy tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RUNDMC

Reaction score
I have brewed 5 gallon batches, and they all seem very hoppy to me. Am I boiling the hops too long or not long enough?

how much hops are you using? whats your grain bill? the longer you boil the hops the more bitterness you will get, but the shorter the more flavor and aroma you'll get. is it too bitter? or the flavor is too strong?

what have you brewed (recipes) and how long have they aged? does aging help alleviate some of the "too hoppy" taste?

Here is my recipe:
Steeped .75 lbs of crystal 75 l malt for 25 mins.
Added 1 lb cs, 1lb light dme and .25 of malt DextTrin
Then boiled in .5 oz of willamette hops for 45 mins, then .25 of same for 10 mins then .25 of same for 5 mins
Added 5lbs of Munich LME
Then pitched the dry ale yeast.
The beer isn't bitter, just very hoppy. Am I boiling t
He hops too long?

Sounds about right (actually, a bit weak for me!).
Might just be hoppier than the stuff you're used to drinking.

You can certainly adjust the recipe to your liking.
Bitterness comes from the 45 min. boil, flavor and aroma on the 5 & 10.

I often boil 1-2 oz for 60 min, etc., with dry hopping after fermentation, so this doesn't sound very hoppy to me.

Thats like a BMC level of hopping, I have no clue how that could possibly taste hoppy, let alone very hoppy

Not to mention,Willamette,like Kent Golding,are both flavor/aroma hops with low AAU%. The ones I used in my current version of English Pale Ale is 4.7%AA for the Willamette,4.5%AA for the Kent Golding. So a 45 min hop addition isn't going to add much bitterness,& drive off a lot of the flavor/aroma oils. Imo,anyway. So,I think it's just a little more than you're used to,as was stated.

It's not un drinkable, for sure! Maybe your right, I may just have to get used to it.

It's not un drinkable, for sure! Maybe your right, I may just have to get used to it.

Or what you're tasting isn't hop. What commercial beers do you drink and how would you rate the hoppiness of those compared to your beer?

Until I started brewing, I was drinking.......a lite beer.
Think I may not be used to what a real beer should taste like!

I think that's true of us all at one point or other. Then start trying imports/craft beers,& get a taste for hoppier/maltier brews. It's a learning process. Albeit a fun one. And since today is St Patrick's day...:tank:

Get yourself a six pack of Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA. Afterwards I'm pretty sure your beer won't taste too hoppy.

I have a lawnmower ale I brewed in January that I will be breaking out for St. Patty's!!!

I'm saving the rest of what's left of my January batch for mine & the wife's birthdays. Amber bock,shock-top wit,maybe another for St Patrick's day.

Thanks to everyone for their comments/ideas/observations. I think I have moved past the BMC's!!!

Get yourself a six pack of Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA. Afterwards I'm pretty sure your beer won't taste too hoppy.

A bit off topic, but I just have to say, Torpedo IPA is rockin' awesome.:rockin:

I just love love love the taste and aroma of hops in a beer. don't get me wrong I love malty beers too, but hops just do something extra for me. I don't know why. Maybe it's because before I started drinking good beer I started to get into good wine and developed a bit of a nose and taste for the different fruit flavors and therefore enjoy the subtle nuances of different strains of hops being blended together.

regardless, I love hops. and I hope you enjoy your new found world of good beer!

I am looking for a mini mash clone for fat tire ale now. if anyone has a recipe or link, please let me know. Again, thanks to all for your expertise....

Dave, you are SO right! I bought bomber of Torpedo ale, and mine is very close. I can know taste all of the hop differences. Thanks for the advice!!!

Dave, you are SO right! I bought bomber of Torpedo ale, and mine is very close. I can know taste all of the hop differences. Thanks for the advice!!!

I'm still totally confused. Are you saying you think the batch that you made with 1 oz of Willamette is close in hoppiness to Torpedo? You would need over a half pound of Willamette with several oz dry hopped to get even close. In fact to make Torpedo, SN actually developed a device to intensify the dry hop aroma and flavor.

Our persistence has paid off. Our obsession with harnessing huge hop flavor led to the development of what we call the hop torpedo, a revolutionary method of dry-hopping designed, built, and debuted here at the brewery. Our torpedo is a sleek, stainless-steel piece of hardware that delivers more pure hop aroma than any method of dry-hopping we’ve ever seen. Like all our beers, Torpedo Extra IPA uses only the best whole-cone hops possible making this delicious ale worth the wait.

I'm not trying to be critical but something doesn't make any sense here at all. Maybe you added a lot more hops than you think, or you really don't understand what hops flavor is. Like someone said, the recipe you listed is an extremely lightly hopped beer, about like Bud, and not even in the same universe as Torpedo:confused:

Ok, I bought a bomber of SN Torpedo....AWESOME!!! Tastes almost as good as my LM Ale!!! Thanks for the tip!

Brew2it,
The recipe I was referring to was an LM Ale with columbus hops. High AA's for those hops. Again, thanks for your advice. I'm learning as I go!

Brew2it,
The recipe I was referring to was an LM Ale with columbus hops. High AA's for those hops. Again, thanks for your advice. I'm learning as I go!

Ah, I see. I though it was the recipe you linked with .5 oz Willamette at 45 minutes .25 at 20 and .25 at 5 minutes. I spill that much hops on a typical ale brewday LOL. Glad you are enjoying the Torpedo. Sounds like we have a conversion from lite drinker to Hophead!!

The .5 willamette was a red clone of my first batch. I used a "beer kit add pack" instead of 3 lbs of grain......my mistake. It tasted good when we racked to secondary, but it would have been better with more grain...won't make that mistake again.....soon to be an all grain brewer! Bring on the mash tun instructions!

Wow! This string has had over 700 views. I guess I am the only one brave enough to ask! Thanks to all for your helpM

Latest posts

Back