SMASH German Pils?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osagedr

Recovering from Sobriety
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Thinking of a German Pils for my next batch (will be my fourth AG) and was thinking of a SMASH to help me start to better understand individual malts and hops.

For 5.5 gallons:

10 lbs Weyermann's German Pilsner
0.5 lbs rice hulls
1.5 oz Saaz (60 minutes) (edit: changed to Tettnang)
1.0 oz Saaz (30 minutes) (edit: changed to Tettnang)
1.0 oz Saaz (15 minutes) (edit: changed to Tettnang)

What would you suggest for a mash schedule for this brew?

Am I going to compromise style with this recipe (i.e. is there another malt I should be adding)?

I've been thinking about doing the same thing except with Hallertau instead of Saaz. The only other thing I was considering adding was some Carapils but I don't know how much of a difference that'd make. Just be sure to do a 90 minute boil to drive off potential DMS.

What makes this German? Saaz is a Czech hop. Go with Tettnanger. Drop the rice hulls, you do not need them. I'd do a single infusion at the lower end around 150 or so. Do a 90 minute boil so dial back the first hop addition.

What makes this German? Saaz is a Czech hop. Go with Tettnanger. Drop the rice hulls, you do not need them. I'd do a single infusion at the lower end around 150 or so. Do a 90 minute boil so dial back the first hop addition.

Good catch on the hops--thanks. I might not need the rice hulls but better to have & not need than need & not have. I'm paranoid b/c my Helles mash got stuck this weekend.

Isn't that just some munich away from a normal pils?

But let me know how this turns out, i got a bunch of pils malt waiting to be used.

Isn't that just some munich away from a normal pils?

But let me know how this turns out, i got a bunch of pils malt waiting to be used.

I guess it depends on what you consider a "normal" pils to be! Most beers are a little bit of this or that away from being something almost the same ;)

I'd dough in at 140-145 rest 30 minutes, decoct to 155-158 for 30 minutes and decoct a mashout. I'm drinking it now but I used Spalt. It worked perfect. Dry with a hint of pils malt sweetness and a lingering bitterness.

Back