plastic rivets on freezer lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmo

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good way to remove those plastic rivets that hold the plastic part of the lid to the sheet metal? I was going to try and save them, but i guess i could always cut them off and replace them with screws later. Anyone have any ideas?

I have a mini pry bar/screwdriver type tool that did the trick. Don't have any idea when or why I bought it but it basically looks like a flat blade screwdriver bent 45 degrees with a small v shaped cut out on the end.

Something like this might do it as well Amazon.com: Pry Bar Mini 7": Home Improvement

Last edited by a moderator:
I just used a flat head screwdriver. But the whole assembly was old so many of them broke. I couldn't find replacements anywhere so I used screws to hold the old gasket back in place once I put it back together.

samc,
FYI - I'm pretty sure what you have is an interior trim removal tool for cars. You can get them from the HELP section in most parts houses. It's also great for removing plastic rivets from freezer lids! - Dwain

I just used a flathead or a needlenose and pulled them out. Bobby_M removed them on his kegerator and reused them. Here is the video.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnS3j1Etr08&feature=related]YouTube - Chest Freezer to Kegorator Conversion Part 1A[/ame]

wow thanks for all the good advice! Yeah the flat head screwdriver i was using wasn't cutting it. I probably just need to put a little more muscle into it. Maybe i'll stop by the hardware store and see if they have something a little more well suited. Thanks again!

I love these for small things
Amazon.com: 4" Professional Tack Puller: Home Improvement
217kGuq8poL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

like when my wife decided to put together some Ikea free standing closets in the living room, before checking to see if they would actually make it through the door into the bedroom... getting the backing off of those was a piece of cake with a tack puller

Last edited by a moderator:
Back