Corny Lagering; quick quetion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanH

Reaction score
Primary in better bottle at 50, diacetyl rest, then racked to corny for lagering. When it comes time to serve, can I simply hook it up to the faucet and toss the first pint or two (sediment and misc junk) or do I need to rack to another corny? Maybe I'm just being lazy...

the 1st pint or 2 needs to be tossed regardless of using a new corny or not IME - otherwise that same sediment will just fall to the bottom of the new keg

i tend to let my lagers sit in the primary at lagering temps for a few days to a week or so and then keg to avoid racking as much yeast/trub as possible and just serve from the same keg that I lager in

terrapinj said:
just serve from the same keg that I lager in

Thanks: that's exactly what I was looking for. I wanted to make sure that works out well or if the second racking would be necessary. Looks like I'll continue to be lazy.

I lager in my serving keg. I'm too lazy to transfer to another one.

I generally don't have to waste more than the first 1/4 of a pint out of the keg, but I'm real meticulous with my irish moss, gelatin, cold crashing, and siphon transfers before I ever even get to the keg.

Back