Nottingham looking slow....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akglyd

Reaction score
I am using Nottingham for the first time.
I am used to th us-05 which makes a good lott of bubbles in the yeast lock.
This one though went wery slovly for two days and then more or less compleetly stopped.....
Pitched drye at 30°C
Started of in about 14 hours
Fermenting at 19°C

Any ideas...?

In my experience Nottingham ferments at about the same rate as US-05 if pitched into the same beer at the same temp. I have found that Notty really benefits from rehydrating before pitching as it tends to clump together so you don't get a good strong inoculation which can slow down the action. Once it gets going though it is usually done bubbling withing 2-3 days at 65-68F.

Well, it seems to have stopped after 2 days at slow rate.....

Keep in mind that if you are fermenting in a bucket fermenter you may be leaking CO2 out from under the bucket lid as most lids don't seal air tight.

You mighy be right there.
It actualy made a real nose in the room which I'm not used to in that amount.....

Just messured it....
OG 1.049
Sg after 3 days 1.010
Damn!!!

It's possible. Nottingham even says on their product sheet that it can finish in 72 hours if the conditions are right.

Now just let it go another 2 weeks to clean up the off flavors and then bottle!

Oh I will:)
I'm not in a rush.
Was just to worried not to messure it to see if it was doing allright.
Noe I actualy am a bitt worried it will go even lover.....

Oh I will:)
I'm not in a rush.
Was just to worried not to messure it to see if it was doing allright.
Noe I actualy am a bitt worried it will go even lover.....

Nottingham is a beast!

I just checked my American wheat beer last night that is on Nottingham and it started at 1.052 and it's all the way down to 1.007 after 3 weeks!

Back