Bargain fittings question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This model

soldkegkit-500x500.jpg

has the washer soldered to the lock nut, and comes with a flat silicone washer.

This model

kegwedlesskit1-500x500.jpg

doesn't have the soldered washer, and comes with silicone o-rings...

Cheers!

I looks to me like the new (more expensive) version would be a lot easier to deal with because it has a place for a wrench, and a captive SS washer. If you plan on doing regular dis-assembly as part of your cleaning routine, I think this version would be better in the long run.

The new style is as stated easier to assemble and take apart.

It is also more forgiving if you oversize the hole. Our pickup tubes are cut for the standard kit, so if you need a center pickup to be right in the center of the keg, then the standard bulkhead kit is a better choice.

Ok Thanks guys...the newer fitting...is there a specific size hole to aim for when drilling? Or is it a guess a check game with a step bit?

Thanks

I recommend starting with a 13/16" bit and then test fit, and clean up the hole with a file or grinding tool until the fitting is just a bit snug in the hole. No larger than 7/8"

13/16'ths and judicious use of the venerable file will yeild the best possible fit. You want it as snug as posssible (no slop) but not too tight, that would interfere with getting a good seal and even tigntening. I also dimple my stainless washers to follow the inner contour of the vessel. This creates even presure on the o-ring for a leakproof connection. Just sayin, Wayne and his boyz rock too.
Wheelchair Bob

I looks to me like the new (more expensive) version would be a lot easier to deal with because it has a place for a wrench, and a captive SS washer. If you plan on doing regular dis-assembly as part of your cleaning routine, I think this version would be better in the long run.

I'm planning on using the new, soldered model for my new (SS kettle in round cooler) MLT.

I use the older model for my HLT and BK. They work fine, but I think the new model will work even better. I like that washer more than the o-rings.

:rockin:

Just realized I don't have a 13/16" step on my bit. Am I going to run into issues by going up to the 7/8"?

Just realized I don't have a 13/16" step on my bit. Am I going to run into issues by going up to the 7/8"?

It should be ok...you have a little wiggle room. At least it seemed like I did. Note when you are close on your step bit before you start and then just keep stopping and trying the bulkhead. This is why I did...and it worked well for me. Remember...it is a lot easier to make the hole bigger then smaller.....

Back