wit beir

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathanquist

Reaction score
Hey yo made a wit beer added some honey trying to get some opinions by more seasoned vets. Please add ur 2 cents!

Wit beer Og 1.059 70% efficiency 15.4 ibu Srm 4.0 Est. Fg 1.015 Wyeast Belgian witbier 3944 60 minute boil

5# American 6 row 3# flaked wheat 2# American wheat

2# honey 1# flaked oats

Protein rest at 138 for 15 minutes. Then raised to 152 for 50 minutes. Added .9 Ounces of magnum 18.5% AA with orange peel better 1 oz and coriander seed 3/4 ounce all at 10 minutes. 60 minute boil. Also yeast was harvested from fellow brewers conical.

I had a gallon of wild honey from a bee keeper in northern California and it is very cinnamon / spicy. I thought it would compliment the yeast and coriander. Also I was dying to throw it in something and this seemed the most appropriate.

Well...how'd it turn out? Recipe looks OK.

I'm about to tackle a similar brew with raw wheat! :eek: I also have a hook-up for raw honey from a beekeeper. I may post a thread once I get it brewed.

It is still kinda green but from the few I have had it tastes like just a wit beer with no flavor added from the honey :(. I was really expecting some cinnamon flavor from the honey but it fermented completely out. Maybe the pollen in the honey dropped out or something. Good thing I like wit beers ;)

I just made a wit with 40% raw wheat, did a cereal mash. Still fermenting.

As far as the honey goes, you probably would have gotten more honey flavor from adding it to secondary. Not sure though, never used honey. I know byo did an article a couple issues ago. I can check that and getty back if you'd like.

EDIT: just saw this post...
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/adding-honey-339317/

It's a swmbo slayer for sure. Had a 4th of July party and the maidens went down for the count wahoo!!!

Latest posts

Back