Didn't crush my grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSamu

Reaction score
I am in the process fermenting a Red ale out of a True Brew kit. It never said in the directions to crush the grains, though I wondered if I should, but then didn't. I did accidentaly steep them twice as long as they said to.So will the beer taste good any way or did I blow it by not crushing the grains? Also I had bought extra Hop pellets. Should I add them when I change to the secondary. Or just follow thr directions.

Thanks
Mike

"Beer is proof GOD loves us and wants us to be happy"
Benjamin Franklin.

I am in the process fermenting a Red ale out of a True Brew kit. It never said in the directions to crush the grains, though I wondered if I should, but then didn't. I did accidentaly steep them twice as long as they said to.So will the beer taste good any way or did I blow it by not crushing the grains? Also I had bought extra Hop pellets. Should I add them when I change to the secondary. Or just follow thr directions.

I guess I can't say with 100% certainly, because anything is possible, but I can't imagine that the grains in your True Brew kit were not already crushed.

"Beer is proof GOD loves us and wants us to be happy"
Definitely not Benjamin Franklin.

;)

I'm going to have to agree with you that the True Brew kit is probably already crushed.

And yes, that is MOST DEFINITELY a misquote. Ben never said that.

Darth Vader also never said, "Luke.... I am your father."

More than likely with a kit the grains came crushed. Steeping too long will probably not make too much of a difference since most of the "recipe" is in the extract and hops for extra flavor.

You can dry hop with your extra hops. Add them to your primary after about 2 weeks and bottle about 7 days later. Or transfer to secondary after you have measured final gravity over three days, add the hops and bottle after about 7 days.

You can use a gallon paint strainer bag to lessen the volume loss to hop residue in the fermenter.

Simple really. If it is a kit, do exactly what the instructions say. It does not work to mix documented instructions with what other knowledge you have accumulated on this forum.

Patience, enough time on this site and the basics will soon be clear(er) :)

Pretty amazing a brew kit that didn't precrush the grain. But if this is the kit MSamu bought it doesn't appear as though the grains are crushed. Crazy

TrueBrewRedAleBeerIngredientKit1.jpg

I'm going to have to agree with you that the True Brew kit is probably already crushed.

And yes, that is MOST DEFINITELY a misquote. Ben never said that.

Darth Vader also never said, "Luke.... I am your father."

Next your gonna say that Rick never said "Play it again, Sam". Bah. I'm no good a being noble, but this thread will never amount to a hill of beans in this crazy forum.

It's most likely crushed and if it's not all-grain crushing won't be the end of the world. Just keep them at 150 for 30-45 min instead.

That kit was my first brew and I made it a point to follow the instructions to a T. I didn't crush the grains because I am not smart enough to have even considered it! But it worked out just fine and tastes pretty darn good, if I do say so myself! :rockin:

Thanks for all the input, Lots of sites use that quote but after reading what you said I did some research, and it is a misquote, as Ben was talking about GOD making rain to grow the grapes that are turned to wine.bummer I will have to choose my quotes more carefully. And that is the kit I bought. But I will carry on and give it a try
Cheers.

Thanks for all the input, Lots of sites use that quote but after reading what you said I did some research, and it is a misquote, as Ben was talking about GOD making rain to grow the grapes that are turned to wine.bummer I will have to choose my quotes more carefully. And that is the kit I bought. But I will carry on and give it a try
Cheers.

You know, the more I think about the photo I posted of the grain has to just be for advertising. Whole grain probably looks more appealing in a pic. I doubt anybody who brews only extract/steeped grain recipes own's a grinder and the vendor's realize that.

Wait till next March 30th and you can make up any Benjamin Franklin quote you want. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/declaration-3-30-misquote-ben-franklin-day-111414/

When I used to brew extract/steeping grain kits from Midwest you had to specify if you wanted grains crushed or not when ordering. Once I forgot to select "pre-crushed" and I had to crush with a rolling pin. Maybe the True Brew kits are the same way...

Back