No krausen in starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakead

Reaction score
I made my first starter on Thursday night for a brew I was planning today. I checked it today and there is no krausen whatsoever. When I shake it I CO2 is definitely coming out but other than that all I see is cloudy wort. Should I go ahead and pitch or should I wait?

Well, I would think that it will be fine...what kind of beer is it? If its a big beer, underpitching could have bad effects. Plus, depending on the yeast and what you used (DME or something else) it might not produce krausen in the starter.
So questions:
1. What kind of yeast?
2. What did you use for a starter?
3. What kind of beer is it?
4. Where in Memphis are you? Im in Midtown.
-Jefe-

1. wlp570
2. Light DME
3. Belgian Golden OG 1.050
4. Im in Germantown, but was in East/midtown a year ago. Good to see a fellow Vol fan on the forum.

It sounds like it will be fine. 1.050 is not too big, so I say pitch it and it will be bubbling by tonight. Also, watch out for blow-off if you are using a 5 gallon carboy. If you are using a 6.5gal bucket then you'll be good. Go Vols!
-Jefe-

There is very little activity with making starters, rarely do they bubble, even more rarely is there a krausen that we see. The only true activity that most of us see is just a creamy band at the bottom when it flocculates out.

Starters are some of the most "un-exciting" fermentations ever.

rsz_yeast_starter_chilled_001.jpg

That one is cold crashed, but even if it is a t room temp, you should see the sediment in the bottom. I use a stirplate, but usually stop it a few hours early to let it settle.

Basically if you see a creamy band of sediment at the bottom, then it's done it's job.

Latest posts

Back