Sugar for dextrose substitution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbriscoe

Reaction score
If a recipe calls for 1 lb of dextrose, how much white or brown sugar would I need to get the same gravity or sweetness?

Why are you replacing it? The recipe won't turn out the same because of the altered flavor, but I believe it's a 1:1 ratio. The reason people use dextrose/corn sugar is because of it's lack of flavor.

Two different questions:

Gravity - 1:1 and either sugar will be fine in a cider. Brown sugar will change the flavor a bit, but IMO in a good way.
Sweetness - use half as much.

dextrose is not neutral. It finishes a little beery tasting, which is why beer makers consider it to be neutral. If you want something that tastes more like apple sugar, use 2/3 organic cane sugar (light turbinado) and 1/3 dextrose. Brown sugar will give it a bit of a caramel taste, which works OK with the apple

I ended up using .5 lb white sugar and .5 lb brown sugar with 1 gal TTop AJ. My OG seemed a bit low at 1.081 at 84 degrees - I think that would be 1.084 adjusted. The mead calculator said it should be over 1.09. Why isn't it?

That's really not a huge difference in OG. Chances are, you didn't get a good reading because it wasn't mixed thoroughly.

Back