Tips on siphon tube cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
I'm on my 3rd batch but one thing I've failed to pin down in my process is a good solution for a blow off. The problem is that I keep using my siphon for the blow off and it ends up with gunk in it and then I can't use it to siphon. So I buy more siphon hose. I may end up getting this which should work with my BB but for now I'm stuck.

Is there a way to clean gunk from a long (say 3 or 4 feet) siphon? I tried my best but I couldn't seem to get the bits and pieces in the hose.

I usually soak the tubing in a bucket full of cleaning soultion. I use the auto-siphon so a few pumps gets is going through the siphon. I simply keep pumpin cleaner though the siphon and back into the bucket until it runs clean enough for me. Hope that helps

I do something similar to Krelja, I use some oxyclean in a bucket of water, hook the tube up to my autosiphon, and pump the cleaner through the siphon/hose (with the hose going back into the bucket. I leave it full of oxyclean for a few hours or overnight, then dump it all out, fill it with water, and siphon the water through for a bit. Usually gets most of the gunk off the inside.

This is a little funny....I used a 30 caliber gun cleaning pad and additonal ramrod pieces together....well, it worked! Good on guns too of course

Back