Wyeast Propagator, but no DME for starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zackb911

Reaction score
I just got my kegging kit and a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone kit from MidWest along with the Wyeast Propagator smack pack.:ban:

This is my first time using a Propagator pack and it mentions making a starter with 3.5oz of DME but the recipe kit only has LME and grains??

Anyone know what I should do? Can I use a little LME? I was planning on brewing today but I can hold out till next Friday in order to do it right...

Thanks!

If you're out of options, head to your grocery store and check the "ethinc" section for this:

large_316.jpg

Decant and pitch.

brewt00l said:
If you're out of options, head to your grocery store and check the "ethinc" section for this:

large_316.jpg

Decant and pitch.

This works as a starter medium? Even though it is hopped and carbonated?

Interesting!

EDIT- Wow it's all over the web....Some people boil it, some just let it degass...Though a lot of people dillute it with about 1/2 cup of water because the gravity is around 1.056 which is too high for a starter evidently.

Revvy said:
This works as a starter medium? Even though it is hopped and carbonated?

Interesting!

It's got some additional ingredients like corn syrup and phosporic acid but it's primarily a hopped wort...maltose for your starter. If you decant and pitch the yeast, you'll minimize any introduction of the beverage to your wort. I prb wouldn't use it for something really subtle & very mild like a kolsch but otherwise, it's a go.

brewt00l said:
It's got some additional ingredients like corn syrup and phosporic acid but it's primarily a hopped wort...maltose for your starter. If you decant and pitch the yeast, you'll minimize any introduction of the beverage to your wort. I prb wouldn't use it for something really subtle & very mild like a kolsch but otherwise, it's a go.

I'm always about picking up tips...Thanks for the info!

(I wish I had known about it 2 hours ago...I would have tried it on my second harvest of pacman from some Rogue bombers...I thought I almost didn't have enough dme to whip up a wort....but it turned out I had exactly 1/2 cup left.....)

Back