Fruit Beer Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a 10g batch and split it one with simply limeaid and the other simply grapefruit. both wre great. I followed the recipe to a T and hit the numbers. A vote amongst all those that have tasted so far is the grapefruit is better. Both are good, but the grapefruit is just so unique that is pushes it forward.

My point is if you like the original, try the modifications especially the grapefruit. I just picked up two bottles of simply grapefruit…its getting brewed again this weekend to finish out the summer. Unfortunately the grapefruit ked is floating…so we are replying on Ed's hefe (which is awesome and completely different) and the limeaid version. Not complaining…not a bad place to be….

I haven't read through very much of this thread yet, but would you change the hops if you were going to use Simply Grapefruit? Maybe something that compliments grapefruit a little more? The original hops for this recipe seem like they would compliment Simply Limeade more.

I haven't read through very much of this thread yet, but would you change the hops if you were going to use Simply Grapefruit? Maybe something that compliments grapefruit a little more? The original hops for this recipe seem like they would compliment Simply Limeade more.

Go cascade or centennial. Centennial at 60, late addition cascade, and dry hop cascade. Mmmmmm. It would be more of a hoppy wheat.

I'm getting ready to bottle my first batch of this on Saturday. I brewed it to the original recipe except for two changes...... I had to substitute the Motueka hops for Citra since my LHBS didn't carry Motueka. I also added .25 oz. of coriander seed (crushed) at 5 minutes left of the boil for a little more citrus aroma. Otherwise, everything else was to the original recipe.

Can't wait to see how this one tastes!!

I just tasted a sample of this beer as brewed above and after only two weeks in the bottle it tastes awesome! I just returned home from a 7 day road trip and this 2 week young brew tastes better than any of the craft brews I had on the road. This beer is gonna be beyond good in a couple more weeks.

Well, I just finished brewing this today as my second AG batch. Everything went smooth, until I went to rock the carboy and broke it on my concrete deck. Lost the beer. Think ill throw some back and drown my sorrows.

butterpants said:
The 0.5 oz Motueka and Sorachi Ace hops are weight in pellet form I'm assuming..?

I write my recipe with pellet only, due to the fact that they last longer.

LHBS didn't have Motueka.... damm! I scored everything else.

I hate to sub but not sure I can find um before brew day. Calling places now.

Any thoughts on using Citra?

LHBS didn't have Motueka.... damm! I scored everything else.

I hate to sub but not sure I can find um before brew day. Calling places now.

Any thoughts on using Citra?

I used Citra in my batch and it tastes great. In fact, I'm drinking one now :D:D I just had to adjust my boil times to match the total IBU's in the original recipe because the Citra hop has a bit higher AA. I opted for shorter boil times in lieu of smaller amounts because I figured using the full amount at the end of the boil would impart more aroma and citrus flavor, and it did.

I still would like to make it with Motueka just to see how the original recipe tastes, but then again, the batch I made using Citra tastes AWESOME!!

ok I'm stoked now as I have Citra on hand.
Before I hit BeerSmith and try to tweak the IBU'S, you care to share your boil times/hop additions?

ok I'm stoked now as I have Citra on hand.
Before I hit BeerSmith and try to tweak the IBU'S, you care to share your boil times/hop additions?

Sure...

15 min .25oz. Citra 13.9% AA
10 min .25oz. Sorachi Ace 12.6% AA
5 min .25oz. Citra 13.9% AA
0 min .50oz. Sorachi Ace 10.5% AA

I also added .20 oz Coriander Seed (crushed) at 5 min left in the boil. And yes, I did have two different varieties of Sorachi Ace, hence the difference in AA between the 10 min addition and the flame out addition.

Sure...

15 min .25oz. Citra 13.9% AA
10 min .25oz. Sorachi Ace 12.6% AA
5 min .25oz. Citra 13.9% AA
0 min .50oz. Sorachi Ace 10.5% AA

I also added .20 oz Coriander Seed (crushed) at 5 min left in the boil. And yes, I did have two different varieties of Sorachi Ace, hence the difference in AA between the 10 min addition and the flame out addition.

Thank you.

Bittering was still ok with only <15 min additions?

Richard-SSV said:
Yes, bittering was done with only a 15 min addition. Turned out great!

I'm not sure I would agree with a true buttering effect in 15 minutes....in general a window of buttering is from 60 minutes to 35 minutes, flavor comes in from 25 minutes to 7 minutes and aroma is 7 minutes or less.

Regardless, I have a serious beer boner to make this Heff. One more day of work...

The original recipie is for a 6gal batch correct? I might keg 5 and bottle the rest to see how it matures.

I just bottled 51 lemon lime hefeweizens. I was a little worried, the yeast I bought from the lhbs was 3 months expired and I didnt know it. Slow to ferment, but still a beautiful color and no signs of any infection while fermenting. As I siphoned it into the bucket for botteling, it sure stunk like the stanky yeast cake. Hydrometer sample tasted fine, not much lemon lime, and alittle thin, but its green.

If you want a summer beer that is easy to drink and everyone will like brew this beer. I used Saaz instead of the montueka hops and it came out great.

This weekend is going to a busy brew day for me....huge party in September, so I am brewing my Lemon-Lime, Blood Orange and my Blueberry Crush on Saturday!

This weekend is going to a busy brew day for me....huge party in September, so I am brewing my Lemon-Lime, Blood Orange and my Blueberry Crush on Saturday!

I dont think I ever saw your blueberry crush recipe? Whats that?

GenIke said:
I dont think I ever saw your blueberry crush recipe? Whats that?

It's a recipe that I haven't published yet....it's one of my favorite beer's so I'm keeping this one locked up for a couple months!

For what it's worth I placed 3rd in the wheat beer category at my local fair with the original recipe. The comments were very positive. This was my first competition. Thanks Slim.

al_anderson311 said:
For what it's worth I placed 3rd in the wheat beer category at my local fair with the original recipe. The comments were very positive. This was my first competition. Thanks Slim.

Congratulations....I'm curious too see (over time) which one gets more awards...lemon-lime or blood orange Hef.

I brewed this Lemon-lime Hefe Tuesday evening. I increased the grain bill just slightly as I have not nailed down my AG efficiency yet. I used beersmith and set up for an OG of 1059, which I ended up Getting 1058. Aside from the slightly increased grain bill, I followed the recipe to the T. Made a 1400ml starter and it took right off. Added the Simply Limeaid on day 3. Using swamp cooler to keep this around 63. Went from vigorous fermentation to not much of anything is 6 days. Just took a sample to make sure it wasn't suck and the SG is 1012! Now to let it sit for a few more weeks and then into the keg it goes. Looking forward to the finished product.
Jay

image.jpg

I've always been suspect of my airlock activity (brewing in a 6.5gal plastic ale pail bucket). Did anyone check their gravity before adding the limeade?

I am 44 hours post pitch, no real blow-off activity, nice layer of foam in bucket (no discernible bubbling). OG was 1.052, now I'm sitting at 1.020. Should I go ahead and add the yeast, or wait another day?

CastleSeven said:
I've always been suspect of my airlock activity (brewing in a 6.5gal plastic ale pail bucket). Did anyone check their gravity before adding the limeade?

I am 44 hours post pitch, no real blow-off activity, nice layer of foam in bucket (no discernible bubbling). OG was 1.052, now I'm sitting at 1.020. Should I go ahead and add the yeast, or wait another day?

Let the yeast do their job...if you are at the 2 week period and your worried, then do a gravity reading.

CastleSeven said:
Oops, totally meant limeade, not yeast. Wondering if I should add the limeade now :)

Yes go for it...you might be thankful if you have a leaky lid with this one....it will prevent an explosion!

integra93ls said:
Your being mean!!!!! LOL!!!!

So I will post my blueberry crush recipe in 2 weeks....but I will give y'all a hint, the blueberries come from...well blueberries, but the crush comes from orange crush! I will post the recipe without pictures at first....but it's my favorite!

So I will post my blueberry crush recipe in 2 weeks....but I will give y'all a hint, the blueberries come from...well blueberries, but the crush comes from orange crush! I will post the recipe without pictures at first....but it's my favorite!

Awesome thanks. Can't wait. Love all the other recipes from you..

Back