Hop spider material

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steeldrummerj

Reaction score
I've got a hop bag that I want to use for a spider. I work at an auto parts store, so I got a piece of all thread and nuts for the supports, as well as the hose clamp for a whopping $2.50. My question is regarding the cylinder. Can I use an exhaust connector? It's just steel, not stainless. My thought is that since it's going to be above the wort, it shouldn't really matter, but I'd rather run it by y'all first. Should I use pvc? Something else?

When that rusts steam will condensate and drip rust into your brew. I'd go PVC.

When that rusts steam will condensate and drip rust into your brew. I'd go PVC.

How high above the pot will it be sitting? Everything he said was right but u also wanna watch PVC if its low-sitting. The steam coming up could cause a similar issue, since regular PVC starts to leach bad things above 140. Since uve saved a good amount of $$$ u might wanna look for something SS that would work or get the higher grade PVC that won't leach.

I used a PVC spider without incident until I brewed a double IPA. The recipe called for 8 ounces of hops over the course of the boil, and about 5 minutes before flameout the PVC got so soft that the weight of the hops collapsed it and it fell into the pot. Beer came out fine, but I replaced it with a brass toilet flange. So far so good.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/where-get-hop-spider-supplies-390420/#post5076679

This is my version of the sink flange, works great!

DSC03299 (Small).JPG

DSC03300 (Small).JPG

Here's mine, shown on a 5-gallon kettle. It will span across my 10 gal pot. Paid about $10 for the InSinkErator flange at Menard's, but worth the $$ as it is quite robust. With three 5/16" x 7" carriage bolts, nuts and ss hose clamp, total bill was about $20, not counting the bag. I loosen the hose clamp and pull up the bag so that it doesn't sit on the bottom of the kettle. A couple 5/8" ss nuts thrown in the bag keep it from floating up.

HopSpider_zps2ef0f679.jpg

Going to go buy the parts today but not sure where to get the nylon bag. Anyone have suggestions?

I went SS Insinkerator flange & just clamp it to the side of the pot and the bag to the spider with binder clips. like 10 for $1

IMG_8083.JPG

bump.

Just got back from my local Home Depot. I went the Insinkerator route like some of the pics in this thread. I got stainless steel parts for everything but the bolts. I bought three 8" long 3/8" zinc plated eyebolts as that was all they had in that length for that small of a bolt.

Is zinc plated alright to use?

Yesfan said:
bump.

Just got back from my local Home Depot. I went the Insinkerator route like some of the pics in this thread. I got stainless steel parts for everything but the bolts. I bought three 8" long 3/8" zinc plated eyebolts as that was all they had in that length for that small of a bolt.

Is zinc plated alright to use?

The zinc will eventually rust especially if you cut them like I did. The steam will rust them and eventually will drip rusty water into your wort. They will work but if you brew often taken them back and go to a different store to source the stainless.

I use the SS insinkerator flange too. I think it was $17 at Home Depot. After seeing all the other spiders, I realize that I should have just made 3 arms instead of 4...I spent a bit of time trying to even out the arms to make it stop rattling. Doh!

The zinc will eventually rust especially if you cut them like I did. The steam will rust them and eventually will drip rusty water into your wort. They will work but if you brew often taken them back and go to a different store to source the stainless.

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the info. I'll try Lowes tomorrow or hit somewhere online.

If ya' can't find the "eyebolts" in stainless, look for stainless "all thread", and you'll just have to make any bends you might want in the threaded rod.
McMaster-Carr carries the stainless all thread, as well as Fastenal...........You may find the eyebolts you seek at McMaster-Carr, if you're set on eyebolts.

Back