Legalize home brew everywhere petition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jimmy Carter says hello.

BTW, there is one sig on that petition. Please tell me you aren't the one that started it.

You do know that on a federal level it is already legal in the United States right? Everywhere is just to vast for ANY 1 government to be.

Dumb!! Obviously you know nothing about the legalities of homebrewing and alcohol in general.

Jimmy Carter says hello.

BTW, there is one sig on that petition. Please tell me you aren't the one that started it.

It says the creator was Lucas G. The OP is lsgray. Lucas S. Gray???
His profile says he's 23. Probably doesn't know who Carter is.

If I get 25,000 likes the Obama Administration has to buy me an electric brewery!

How about increasing the 100 gallon limit for single adult households? Also, make it easier to people to get licensed in order to be able to sell their brew.

I'll be on the edge for the 100 gallon [legal] limit this year. IMO, it's far too easy to hit that limit for the more enthusiastic home brewers. :rockin:

You do know that on a federal level it is already legal in the United States right? Everywhere is just to vast for ANY 1 government to be.
On a federal level? Based on what? Can tell you for sure it's not in some southern states....Al, MS to name a few.

On a federal level? Based on what? Can tell you for sure it's not in some southern states....Al, MS to name a few.

It's legal on the federal level BUT each state can make it's own rules up. Many follow the fed, but some deviate from it.

Look here and then pick your state (pull-down towards the top of the page)...

Right, it's a state thing... if your state doesn't allow it, there is nothing the federal government can do. That's how the constitution is written.

The petition doesn't mean a thing... go ahead an sign it.

Silverbullet said:

2 isn't a few, and as far as I know those are the only states left that you can't brew in. Though it won't be long before you can, I could almost guarantee.

The federal gov't defers to the states on this.

The federal gov't only upholds the constitution. All other rights (or, more accurately, limitations to freedom) are determined by the states, as they should be. So, when the 18th ammendment to the Constitution was ratified, the federal government had say. When it was repealed with the 21st, the gov't was back OUT of the business of alcohol (excepting collecting their taxes).

Now, of course, the federal gov't is so far out of hand that the statement above is ludicrous. But if we go further this topic will be moved to Debate. For more information, see http://www.lp.org/

Even if the federal government had the authority to make such a decision the president alone surely lacks the authority to unilaterally make that happen.

Even if the federal government had the authority to make such a decision the president alone surely lacks the authority to unilaterally make that happen.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Hoppiness.​

Even without my little trick at the end, no more powerful words were ever written, especially given the circumstances during which they were written. I just got back from China and I would like to remind you all how much worse things could be.

:mug:

mmmmm... hoppiness....

homer_drool-57221.jpg

Not the point...

What is your point? At a federal level, homebrewing is legal in Alabama and Mississippi, while at the state level, it is not. The feds aren't going to come knocking at your door for making homebrew. The petition is useless because it's asking to legalize something that's already legal.

If you want to help get homebrewing legalized, on a state level, in the states it is not I recommend joining Free the Hops.

If you want to debate politics I recommend a premium account and going into the debate forum.

What the point in having a law if you aren't going to enforce it?

The president has influence so this petition is not pointless and in fact is much more relevant than half of the petitions currently on whitehouse.gov. And you're right the president cannot make a law by himself but he can encourage others to work with him like he did for health care reform. Finally if the federal government says that states cannot create a law taking away this right would that not legalize brewing in all states?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Law Student? Have you taken a Constitutional Law course yet? Just as has been described above, 40 some-odd years ago, then-president Jimmy Carter made home-brewing legal on a federal level. Period, end of story. It's a done deal, at that level. States are still free to enforce their own laws that completely override that law. Period, end of story.

Don't try to tell folks they don't know how government works until you figure it out yourself.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Law Student? Have you taken a Constitutional Law course yet? Just as has been described above, 40 some-odd years ago, then-president Jimmy Carter made home-brewing legal on a federal level. Period, end of story. It's a done deal, at that level. States are still free to enforce their own laws that completely override that law. Period, end of story.

Don't try to tell folks they don't know how government works until you figure it out yourself.

Especially since the 21st Amendment pretty much gave states the right to set up alcohol laws as they see fit....But I am sure an online petition will be able to overrule the Constitution:D

bottlebomber said:
If I get 25,000 likes the Obama Administration has to buy me an electric brewery!

Nope. It just means that they have to formally review and decline your request.

Phunhog said:
Especially since the 21st Amendment pretty much gave states the right to set up alcohol laws as they see fit....But I am sure an online petition will be able to overrule the Constitution:D

We need to petition for a Constitutional Amendment.

Amendment XXVIII - Beer, being necessary to the hoppiness of a free state, the right of the people to keep and brew beer shall not be infringed.

Snoozing in Civics class huh? The USA is a Republic. States can, and do, make their own laws which are subordinate to Federal Law. And, in the case of home brewing there are applicable Federal and State level laws. (In the end I don't think either the Feds or the State gives a damn about home brewing, but it is technically still on the books).

If you want to do something at the Federal level then start a petition to have October 14 declared a national holiday! :ban:

Because, on October 14, 1978, Jimmy Carter signed into law PL 95-458. This law removed most Federal level restrictions on home brewing (a hold over from the Prohibition era). And this fine law provides that (summary):

Allows any adult (formerly only heads of families) to produce wine and beer for personal and family use and not for sale without incurring the wine or beer excise taxes or any penalties for quantities per calendar year of: (1) 200 gallons if there are two or more adults in the household and (2) 100 gallons if there is only one adult in the household.

See http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d095:H.R.1337:

That's enough.

First, you know it's against our policy to allow ANY political talk (and of course, that would include a petition) in the open forums.

Secondly, homebrewing already IS legal at the federal level, so it's a moot point anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back