Honey Blonde Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beljica

Reaction score
My finished all grain gluten free honey blonde.

554659_10150990694847148_1785779416_n.jpg

Looks refreshing... What are you using to crush and what grains did you use (to pieholebrewingco's point)...

I would also be curious to not only see the recipe, but to hear your personal critique of the finished product.

base of sorghum and rice
classic german mash
oats and roasted millet for specialty grains
magnum
cascade
amarillo
pound of honey at flame out

I hit 35 ibus since I wanted to have a light but hoppy beer... I know I know to much for such a light beer but I wanted it so I did it.

It tastes great. Crisp but with a nice mouth feel and the grains real flavor is really pleasant. In my opinion sorghum with a good mash schedule and proper water balance tastes great. It has a light warm flavor with a hint of acidity, though I should mention that the acidity is NOT the same as the twang from syrups.

I got my mill from high gravity its a schmidling with hardened rollers option and the option for both rollers to be adjustable as well. It works well but if I had the money I would go with the monster mill mm3 2.0. Make sure to get hardened rollers. Sorghum and rice and other gf grains are MUCH harder then barley.

base of sorghum and rice
classic german mash
oats and roasted millet for specialty grains
magnum
cascade
amarillo
pound of honey at flame out

I hit 35 ibus since I wanted to have a light but hoppy beer... I know I know to much for such a light beer but I wanted it so I did it.

It tastes great. Crisp but with a nice mouth feel and the grains real flavor is really pleasant. In my opinion sorghum with a good mash schedule and proper water balance tastes great. It has a light warm flavor with a hint of acidity, though I should mention that the acidity is NOT the same as the twang from syrups.

I got my mill from high gravity its a schmidling with hardened rollers option and the option for both rollers to be adjustable as well. It works well but if I had the money I would go with the monster mill mm3 2.0. Make sure to get hardened rollers. Sorghum and rice and other gf grains are MUCH harder then barley.

Did you malt the sorghum? Use any enzymes? How large of a batch was this, and how much did you use of the various ingredients? I'd be interested to see the full recipe as well...

I used an enzyme mix... I just whipped this up so the exact recipe idk... I wanted a really light beer so I hit an og of 1.045 and an fg of 1.018. Just go off that and use your efficiency to make your brew... I used maybe 6 pounds of grain???
The hops though..
.4 mag at 60
1 cascade 15
1 amarillo at flame out.
I'll pm you

Yup unmalted... I have access to commercial grade zymes. I cereal mash, add enzymes, hit my temps depending on style then sparge... so the only difference between my set up and a regular AG set up is that I use a burner under my tun. I use the grant from my nano as a homebrew tun. My grant is just a stainless steel 15 gal kettle from amazon it was dirt cheap.

tun.jpg

I only wish this entire thread weren't completely over my head.

I've been putting off the hours of Google searching it will take to understand it, but its been bugging me for a while.

It's actually not that difficult to understand. I basically dump the grains into boiling water then cool to 125 degrees where I hold it for 10-15 minutes then 135 for 15 minutes and then heat the grains again to 152 and keep it there for an hour to 2 hours. To increase the temperature you just add boiling water to the grains and stir. Below is a link to calculate how much water per temperature.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/mash/
The enzymes I used are
Protease (creates Free Amino Nitrogen)
Beta Glucanase (breaks down the grains a little more)
Amylase (makes sugar).

The reason for the different temperatures is that gluten free grains are UNmodified and in order to fully utilize them you need to go a step farther then with barley.

Also RICE HULLS a ton of them.

Thanks for the explanation. I missed it before.

I will be picking up a grinder soon and hope to start working on some AG brews.

ok hang on, did you sprout the sorghum first? whats an exact measurement for the rice hulls? how many days does it need to ferment? We will be kegging, do you have any advice for time frames before needing to keg? Our first beer was a syrup lager (yuck) and I want to get into strictly all grain beer, specifically gluten free. I dont want to experiment with insane flavors, I want nice perfectly balanced lagers, some ambers, and light to amber ales.... maybe later I'll get into the pumpkin beers and whatnot...

Anyway, can you give me some more specifics in regards to initial boiling temp? what yeast did you use? what temp did it ferment at... etc etc etc etc, I love detail!

Boiling temp was 212 degrees. Yeast was 05 and fermentation was 62. It takes about 15 days to get a beer in the keg if it finishes quickly and then in my opinion about another week for the carbonation to really set. You can carbonate in a few hours but the bubbles become finer the longer it sits. In palmers book you will find information on the ratio of barley hulls in malt so just emulate that to your grist.

This beer was made using a more advanced style of brewing called decoction mashing. It is more difficult to work with. I also used commercial enzymes that helped with filtration and saccrification. With out betaglucanase your mash will get stuck and you will become frustrated.

Good luck and you can purchase thee book on brewing by Palmer on amazon.

Back