Help with my hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snevey

Reaction score
I know, I know, another hop nutrition question... I'm not sure if I have one issue or possibly two issues here. These hops are 2nd year Nuggets. They are growing like beasts. All new growth appears to be yellow(er) then the first bines of the year. Also, some of the early growth is cupping, but cupping towards the ground, NOT cupping upward.

I suspect it's a nutrient issue, as my Willamette plants are a little on the yellow/lime green side, and so are my Centennials, which were all planted last spring.

My 1st year Cascades that I just planted this year are NOT doing this. Probably because they haven't sucked up all the nutrients from the soil yet.

So, what is your opinion? Iron deficiency? Too much water (we've been getting hammered with rain and storms lately - all spring up until this date!)

IMG_20120618_172158.jpg

IMG_20120618_171544.jpg

IMG_20120618_171500.jpg

IMG_20120618_171508.jpg

On the left most picture, ignore the brown, wilted leaves. That is not part of this issue. Something broke that bine off at the ground. I'd remove it, but there are other bines wrapped around it... :)

You need some Nitrogen Zinc and Boron Also you might be overwatering as that causes the nutrients to wash out Cheers Glen

Thanks for the help Hopfarmer. I'll see what I can find at my local Ace hardware store.

use borax 20 mule team for the boron do a foliar spray w all mixed not much N in the foliar 1 tablespoons of zinc and boron pr/ 2 gallon and a little less of N Any good vegetable fertilizer will work

Once applied, and if this is what is needed, how long do you think it would be before I see a turn around in their color?

I'm a little worried now that I applied the Borax to my hop plants. I've read that boron can be toxic to plants. Hope I didn't KILL my hops! Is this a legit concern of mine?

Back