Beersmith - Help me import .BSMX recipe file

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RumRiverBrewer

Reaction score
Newbie with this software... Using the trial version 2. I created a couple recipes and an equipment profile, and exported the .BSMX files for each. At home, on a different PC I installed the trial for beersmith and am trying to add the files. I can open the files but they are not added to the install (not listed). Every time I close BS, the recipes and equipment profile are lost/are not listed ;o( and need to be re-opened.

When I do the import wizard if stops and says recipe.bsm file not found (WTF?)

Is there a way to just import the files?? TIA :mug:

Try renaming the file to recipe.bsm and then import again. Let me know if that works

Just tried that. I found recipe.bsmx in the my documents folder where BS is installed and renamed it recipe.bsm. The program crashed after it said the file format is not supported.. Seems like the prog is looking for .BSM but cannot handle it (format has changed with version 2)

Seems like the import wizard is used ONLY for importing ver 1 BS files.. All recipe data is stored in the recipe.bsmx file and to move it between PCs you need to either copypaste after opening the BSMX file in the other install (that's what the author of BS suggests - WTF?, OR open the recipe.bsmx file in and extract the xml for recipes using copy and then paste them in the other PC's recipe bsmx file, IN THE RIGHT PLACE. Editing xml is problematic.. This has me questioning the tool, along with the batch sparge volumes it's calculating - much lower (1qt/lb grain) than expected..

For anyone searching or interested... The recipe.bsmx file contains all the data for beersmith 2.0 - to get exported recipes into a different installed PC with BS, you need to open the recipe bsmx file with an editor like notepad, cut the section of data in the file between and including the tags <Recipe> and </Recipe> and then paste into the recipe.bsmx file in the documents folder where BS is referencing (my docs/Beersmith2). Paste it after the lastr </Recipe> tag. Knowledge of XML is helpful, as well as a steady hand modifying the file..

To open a Beer Smith 2 .bsmx file in a different copy of Beer Smith 2. In the upper left menu bar click on "File", then on "Open File...", this will bring up a window for you to find the file. Locate the .bsmx file and click "Open". Once the file is open you can "click and drag" each recipe to your Recipe list, or Right Click on a recipe and select and Edit feature. If you make a change, don't forget to click on "Ok" to Save and close the item.

man, I have done all of these things, the recipe appears in beersmith2, I save it..and then it's gone. i don't get it. I made the recipe up on my laptop(beersmith2), put it on a jumpdrive (bsmx) and am trying to put it on beersmith2 on my pc. crazy, can't figure out what i'm doing wrong

I did this today... it was way more difficult than it needed to be.
What worked for me.
1. Open beersmith
2. Create a new folder in your recipes section
3. File -> open file -> select your bsmx file.
4. once the recipe file is open, highlight the recipe from the open recipe window, and navigate back to your new folder, paste them in.
lather rinse repeat.

You should then be able to save, exit, and they should be in that folder next time you open.

This is something Brad should make easier.
AO

m750, thanks - this is the least intuitive software I use, I wish there was a more user friendly home brewing software. I feel that I am stuck in the 90s with this software.

The easiest way I have found for this to work is to store my recipe in "The Cloud". It's accessible from both computers and any changes made from either are automatically updated.

Here's the short version.
- Open BeerSmith
- Use the open command to open your BSMX file
- Copy whatever you want from the open BSMX file using the copy command
- Go to the view where you want it permanently stored (My Recipes or your equipment view if working with an equipment profile) and press Paste

Brad

Back