When can I move to Secondary....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewagentjay

Reaction score
My first batch is in the primary. I got a kit ready to brew but I need to rack it to the secondary first. I don't want to move it too early.....

Help? It was brewed last saturday. Tomorrow is 7 Days.:rockin:

Either way I got a nice new six pack of the sweet water 420 for the super bowl. :rockin:

If it's done fermenting you CAN transfer to secondary, but it'll do better if you give it at least another week. Even better if you go another week after that.

So do I need a second primary? LHBS said 7 days and to the secondary and brew again. LHBS said if I wanted two of something let it be two seondaries....

After all the stuff on here I'm confused on which item I should have two off.

If you want to brew every week, you're going to want more primaries. I do three weeks in primary and one week in secondary for most of my brews. Many folks on here don't even bother with the secondary but I like the extra little bit of bulk aging I get from the week in secondary and it helps make up for my sloppy siphon skills. :D

What does every one use for a primary as I have a ale pale with lid and secondary is a carboy. Can I use a carboy as primary?

You can, but you'll want one at least 6 gallons. Your secondary carboy should be 5 gallons to minimize head space. You want the headspace in the primary so the krausen doesn't go shooting out through your airlock.

I use a big 7-gallon ale pail for my primary and a 5-gallon Better Bottle for my secondary. I'm going to pick up another primary, probably a bigger Better Bottle so I have another primary to have a second brew going at the same time. Since I only secondary for a week, I can deal with having just one of those.

Alright so I need to go to LHBS get a another 7 Gallong ale pail and two or three airlocks. I made a one gallon Apfelwein so I used my secondary airlock. I can't wait to taste one of my beers the next 3 to 4 weeks is going to kill me. I know I'll have one of my beers green as as soon as I think I got come carb going in the bottle it's being drank.

That's one of the beauties of giving it longer time to bulk age between the finish of fermentation and bottling. I've found that it makes the beer mature faster. It seems like a week in a carboy or bucket is equal to 2 or 3 weeks in the bottle.

One last question. I haven't opened the beer since closing it up after my OG. Should I take a peek and get a SG Reading?

Can if ya want! I like to take a reading on mine about once a week just to keep track of how it's coming along and make sure it hasn't gotten stuck.

cool tomorrow is it's week anniversy so I'll save the SG reading for then. I'll have a beer and sanatize the hydro and go for it.

No need to sanitize the hydrometer since you don't want to return the sample to the pail. Just sanitize your wine thief or whatever you're using to get it with.

(and drink the sample after you take the reading, of course!)

well I forgot to take my reading today and i'm way to tired at the moment. I'll do it sometime tomorrow when I'm already doing it for my batch tomorrow. I stoped by the LHBS and picked up another 6.5 gallon bucket. It's not an ale pail, rather a true brew pail......

Back