My yeast is all lumpy.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IHateMayonnaise

Reaction score
About 20 minutes into steeping the grains of my 5th batch (American Stout), looked over to see if the yeast was warming up at all and noticed that it was in one big (solid) lump. Gently moved it back in forth for two solid minutes, now it's in a hundred little chunks. Did it ten minutes later, not much better.

The yeast is White Labs British Ale Yeast. I chose not to do a starter on this due to the low gravity of the beer. Should I just assume that this will work itself out? Or am I screwed?

Thanks yall

IHateMayonnais

It will work itself out just fine, though since you opted not to make a starter (though for anything above 1.025 og you should) more than likely you will have a lag time.

The White Labs strains that are high flocculators will look clumpy like cottage cheese at times. All is good.

Forrest

Thanks for the replies!

My original worry was that a lot of the clumps would settle to the bottom with the hops and just sit there and not do anything. So I should not worry about this?

Thanks for the replies!

My original worry was that a lot of the clumps would settle to the bottom with the hops and just sit there and not do anything. So I should not worry about this?

No, you shouldn't worry about anything.....It will be fine despite what you may think. The yeast are really good at figuring out what they need to do, they've been doing it for 45 million years. ;)

Latest posts

Back