How clear are your sorghum beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soybomb

Reaction score
So I just bottled my first g/f beer tonight and man its still really really cloudy. It sat in primary for 2 weeks, secondary for about 10 days, I cold crashed it for 2 days, then added gelatin for another 2 days in the cold, let it sit for a couple hours before I racked it after moving the carboy. The only thing I can think of is that I didn't have any kettle finings laying around like I thought I did so it got no moss/whirlfloc.

There's some sediment that is clearly from the hop pellets but this is by far the cloudiest beer I've ever made, I don't think thats all of it.

Super clear. Kettle fined with whirlfloc, pitched t58, gave a nice long time in primary until I crashed and bottled after 3 weeks.

One of my clearest beers to date.

My last sorghum syrup beer was also cloudy after a 3 week secondary, but it cleared in the bottle.

Everytime I've used Whirlfloc I've had some nice clear beer. For example I made an American Lager that is about as clear as Coors.

My GF Pale was taking a long time, despite using Irish Moss in the boil, so I filtered it.

Use Irish moss, and have had a variety. A tripel was VERY clear, while a pale ale and a strawberry wheat-style (obviously no wheat) have been extremely cloudy. I dont think I used irish moss on the strawberry actually.

I actually think brown rice syrup clouds it up a bit, but otherwise mine come out very clear.

Not trying to be a contrarian, but I always use some Brown Rice Syrup and never had a problem with it clouding up the beer.

I think people being contradictory is a good portion of why I use these forums.

It was a simple APA, and that was all that was changed. Though I did rush into bottles a bit, and that could easily do it as well. Only 3 weeks in the fermenter IIRC. I am sure if I really cared, I could make it clear. Twas a bit odd that david and I had the same problem on the same style of beer though.

Well, my 2 GF brews so far have been very cloudy out of the fermenter. The yeasts seems to get into a viscous slurry at the bottom which stirs up very easily.

My second brew I racked to a secondary and it seems to be much less cloudy in the bottle than my first where I went straight from fermenter to bottle.

Of the pumpkin ales I made in October- both were only a single stage fermentation. That said, the one I had pumpkin is only slightly cloudier than the one that didn't have any and you can read a book through that one!

My first GF ale was really cloudy, even out of the primary and it never cleared really in the bottle. The people who drank it complained so the next time I used some gelatin finnings about 3 days before I bottled. It was perfectly clear. Never had much result with Irish moss though.

I still haven't had any problems so far...knock on wood. Even when I get drunk and forget the irish moss, the beer comes out clear. The only cloudy beers I've had are beers I've brewed to be cloudy- Gluten Free Wit and Gluten Free Saison.

I made my first one Friday night...6 lbs Sorghum and 1lb 5oz brown rice. It's a very very milky color at 48 hours with not really krausen...but..not sure..big bubbles kinda...

I used teaspon of irish moss at 15 mins. typically i would thing it would start to look "beerish" towards the top at 48 hours...I'll try some gelatin and cold crashing, but probably way too early to worry.

So I just bottled my first g/f beer tonight and man its still really really cloudy. It sat in primary for 2 weeks, secondary for about 10 days, I cold crashed it for 2 days, then added gelatin for another 2 days in the cold, let it sit for a couple hours before I racked it after moving the carboy. The only thing I can think of is that I didn't have any kettle finings laying around like I thought I did so it got no moss/whirlfloc.

There's some sediment that is clearly from the hop pellets but this is by far the cloudiest beer I've ever made, I don't think thats all of it.

Both molasses and sorghum contain 0% protein where as malted barley contains a lot, but...., molasses and sorghum contain very large amounts of minerals. There is a possibility that that the heavy mineral content is working against your clarifing agents which floc the suspended material into clumps so it will settle out. Bacterial contamination will cause cloudy beer that will not clarify. Check you sanitation and sterilization practices also.

I set up a filtering system using standard water system materials and use a 1 micron filter each time I re-rack. 1 micron will still let the yeast through but takes out a lot of suspended particulate matter.

Leeinwa

I made my first one Friday night...6 lbs Sorghum and 1lb 5oz brown rice. It's a very very milky color at 48 hours with not really krausen...but..not sure..big bubbles kinda...

I used teaspon of irish moss at 15 mins. typically i would thing it would start to look "beerish" towards the top at 48 hours...I'll try some gelatin and cold crashing, but probably way too early to worry.

Not sure if anyone else can attest to this, but just because it is cloudy in the carboy doesn't mean it will come out cloudy once it has been bottle conditioned. Even my cloudy Pumpkin Ale eventually cleared over time.

I just had the same experiences with a similar recipe, no krausen but a very vigorous ferment. Used Whirlfloc which is pretty much the same as Irish Moss. It was very cloudy even when racked to secondary, on day 4, but it eventually cleared up within a couple days in the secondary. Had about 2 inches of yeast in secondary which explains why it was so cloudy. I used SafAle US-05 yeast, seemed to take longer to flocculate than it does with barley based brews. For me US-05 almost always flocculated completely in 4-5 days in the primary. It's still not 100% crystal clear now but can see though the beer glass with only minor haze. As it sits in the keg I suspect it will clear even more.

This was my very 1st GF brew so am learning too. Give it some time maybe yours will clear.

-Dubbs

Not sure if anyone else can attest to this, but just because it is cloudy in the carboy doesn't mean it will come out cloudy once it has been bottle conditioned. Even my cloudy Pumpkin Ale eventually cleared over time.

That's what I experienced in the sorghum syrup beer I made.

I have not been able to get a clear GF beer either. Just started to use Irish Moss though and will probably use the Whirlfloc next time around.

I ususally let set in primary fermentor 10 days, then in secondary for about 10 days and then in the keg for about 5 days. should I be letting it set longer in the primary?

I have not been able to get a clear GF beer either. Just started to use Irish Moss though and will probably use the Whirlfloc next time around.

I ususally let set in primary fermentor 10 days, then in secondary for about 10 days and then in the keg for about 5 days. should I be letting it set longer in the primary?

I've never made GF from sorghum so I'm not real sure what the problem is. Might try cold crashing at 30-32 degrees for 3 -4 days.

leeinwa

The one I originally posted about was so cloudy/milky almost at 7 days that i racked it to secondary and put in isinglass. Moved the temp to the low end for yeast used (60ish) and it really seems to have helped. Bottling it tomorrow and will post a picture of a sample.

In beers that are meant to be clear (IPA, Pale Ale etc) I use a whirlfloc tablet at 15 minutes during the boil. That combined with US-05 makes most of the sediment drop. If it is still cloudy in the fermenter it really clears up a day after being in the bottle. S33 Belgian Yeast is cloudy, but I expect that's the style of the yeast.

Latest posts

Back